Juping Jin

Default Sound of water drops when furnace is on

I can hear water drops on wood (one drop in about a minute) in the dry
wall when furnace is working, and even in the first few minutes after
furnace stops. Last week, I had a person to perform furnace
maintenance and asked him this question. He said that was normal,
still, it causes my concern. The only thing I can think of is moisture
condense on some pipe and then drop down from pipe. Even that, I feel
it is not normal to have water drop down.

Your advice will be sincerely appreciated.

Thanks.

andrew.
Art

Is this a late model efficient furnace? They have drainage systems for
condensation. Does yours have a condensate pump or is it high and have a
condensate drain? Maybe it is plugged and condensate is backing up though
usually if that happens the furnace shuts down. Hard to know what is going
on without seeing the instulation.

"Juping Jin" wrote in message
om...
I can hear water drops on wood (one drop in about a minute) in the dry
wall when furnace is working, and even in the first few minutes after
furnace stops. Last week, I had a person to perform furnace
maintenance and asked him this question. He said that was normal,
still, it causes my concern. The only thing I can think of is moisture
condense on some pipe and then drop down from pipe. Even that, I feel
it is not normal to have water drop down.

Your advice will be sincerely appreciated.

Thanks.

andrew.

Real Computing

Thank you, Art for your reply.

Well, I am not sure if it is efficient model since the furnace is the
original one and the house is 26 years old. I live in a town house, and
furnace is in the basement (on the ground) and there are three floors
(including basement). The water drop can be heard from the second floor
(living room), and from vent outlet in both bathrooms of 2nd and 3rd floors.
From vent outlets, it sound like the water drops on metal. but in living
room, it sounds like dropping on wood on the top of 2nd floor. The chimney
has double metal layers. According to the maintenance person, there is no
water in the chimney right out of furnace.

"Art" wrote in message
.net...
Is this a late model efficient furnace? They have drainage systems for
condensation. Does yours have a condensate pump or is it high and have a
condensate drain? Maybe it is plugged and condensate is backing up

though
usually if that happens the furnace shuts down. Hard to know what is

going
on without seeing the instulation.

"Juping Jin" wrote in message
om...
I can hear water drops on wood (one drop in about a minute) in the dry
wall when furnace is working, and even in the first few minutes after
furnace stops. Last week, I had a person to perform furnace
maintenance and asked him this question. He said that was normal,
still, it causes my concern. The only thing I can think of is moisture
condense on some pipe and then drop down from pipe. Even that, I feel
it is not normal to have water drop down.

Your advice will be sincerely appreciated.

Thanks.

andrew.

Art

That old it is not energy efficient and the condensate probably goes up thru
the chimney with lots of hot air. Honestly, from this long distance there
is no way to know if you have a problem.

"Real Computing" wrote in message
Thank you, Art for your reply.

Well, I am not sure if it is efficient model since the furnace is the
original one and the house is 26 years old. I live in a town house, and
furnace is in the basement (on the ground) and there are three floors
(including basement). The water drop can be heard from the second floor
(living room), and from vent outlet in both bathrooms of 2nd and 3rd
floors.
From vent outlets, it sound like the water drops on metal. but in living
room, it sounds like dropping on wood on the top of 2nd floor. The chimney
has double metal layers. According to the maintenance person, there is no
water in the chimney right out of furnace.

"Art" wrote in message
.net...
Is this a late model efficient furnace? They have drainage systems for
condensation. Does yours have a condensate pump or is it high and have a
condensate drain? Maybe it is plugged and condensate is backing up

though
usually if that happens the furnace shuts down. Hard to know what is

going
on without seeing the instulation.

"Juping Jin" wrote in message
om...
I can hear water drops on wood (one drop in about a minute) in the dry
wall when furnace is working, and even in the first few minutes after
furnace stops. Last week, I had a person to perform furnace
maintenance and asked him this question. He said that was normal,
still, it causes my concern. The only thing I can think of is moisture
condense on some pipe and then drop down from pipe. Even that, I feel
it is not normal to have water drop down.

Your advice will be sincerely appreciated.

Thanks.

andrew.

Steve@carolinabreezehvac

"Art" wrote in message
ink.net...
That old it is not energy efficient and the condensate probably goes up

thru
the chimney with lots of hot air. Honestly, from this long distance there
is no way to know if you have a problem.

After reading that again, I bet hes got no liner in the flue,and hes hearing
condensate dripping back and hitting the furnace flue pipe......scary.

"Real Computing" wrote in message
Thank you, Art for your reply.

Well, I am not sure if it is efficient model since the furnace is the
original one and the house is 26 years old. I live in a town house, and
furnace is in the basement (on the ground) and there are three floors
(including basement). The water drop can be heard from the second floor
(living room), and from vent outlet in both bathrooms of 2nd and 3rd
floors.
From vent outlets, it sound like the water drops on metal. but in living
room, it sounds like dropping on wood on the top of 2nd floor. The

chimney
has double metal layers. According to the maintenance person, there is

no
water in the chimney right out of furnace.

"Art" wrote in message
.net...
Is this a late model efficient furnace? They have drainage systems for
condensation. Does yours have a condensate pump or is it high and have

condensate drain? Maybe it is plugged and condensate is backing up

though
usually if that happens the furnace shuts down. Hard to know what is

going
on without seeing the instulation.

"Juping Jin" wrote in message
om...
I can hear water drops on wood (one drop in about a minute) in the dry
wall when furnace is working, and even in the first few minutes after
furnace stops. Last week, I had a person to perform furnace
maintenance and asked him this question. He said that was normal,
still, it causes my concern. The only thing I can think of is

moisture
condense on some pipe and then drop down from pipe. Even that, I feel
it is not normal to have water drop down.

Your advice will be sincerely appreciated.

Thanks.

andrew.

Bubba

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 23:07:59 -0500, "Steve@carolinabreezehvac"
wrote:

"Art" wrote in message
link.net...
That old it is not energy efficient and the condensate probably goes up

thru
the chimney with lots of hot air. Honestly, from this long distance there
is no way to know if you have a problem.

After reading that again, I bet hes got no liner in the flue,and hes hearing
condensate dripping back and hitting the furnace flue pipe......scary.

or even the wood in the structure heating up where a warm pipe is. The
pipe is expanding in the wood and causing the wood and pipe to "tick,
drip or creak".
Bubba

"Real Computing" wrote in message
Thank you, Art for your reply.

Well, I am not sure if it is efficient model since the furnace is the
original one and the house is 26 years old. I live in a town house, and
furnace is in the basement (on the ground) and there are three floors
(including basement). The water drop can be heard from the second floor
(living room), and from vent outlet in both bathrooms of 2nd and 3rd
floors.
From vent outlets, it sound like the water drops on metal. but in living
room, it sounds like dropping on wood on the top of 2nd floor. The

chimney
has double metal layers. According to the maintenance person, there is

no
water in the chimney right out of furnace.

"Art" wrote in message
.net...
Is this a late model efficient furnace? They have drainage systems for
condensation. Does yours have a condensate pump or is it high and have

condensate drain? Maybe it is plugged and condensate is backing up
though
usually if that happens the furnace shuts down. Hard to know what is
going
on without seeing the instulation.

om...

Steve@carolinabreezehvac

"Bubba" wrote in message
On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 23:07:59 -0500, "Steve@carolinabreezehvac"
wrote:

"Art" wrote in message
link.net...
That old it is not energy efficient and the condensate probably goes up

thru
the chimney with lots of hot air. Honestly, from this long distance

there
is no way to know if you have a problem.

After reading that again, I bet hes got no liner in the flue,and hes

hearing
condensate dripping back and hitting the furnace flue pipe......scary.

or even the wood in the structure heating up where a warm pipe is. The
pipe is expanding in the wood and causing the wood and pipe to "tick,
drip or creak".
Bubba

Thats the great thing about mantaining a 1 degree setpoint..

"Real Computing" wrote in message
Thank you, Art for your reply.

Well, I am not sure if it is efficient model since the furnace is the
original one and the house is 26 years old. I live in a town house,

and
furnace is in the basement (on the ground) and there are three floors
(including basement). The water drop can be heard from the second

floor
(living room), and from vent outlet in both bathrooms of 2nd and 3rd
floors.
From vent outlets, it sound like the water drops on metal. but in

living
room, it sounds like dropping on wood on the top of 2nd floor. The

chimney
has double metal layers. According to the maintenance person, there

is
no
water in the chimney right out of furnace.

"Art" wrote in message
.net...
Is this a late model efficient furnace? They have drainage systems

for
condensation. Does yours have a condensate pump or is it high and

have
condensate drain? Maybe it is plugged and condensate is backing up
though
usually if that happens the furnace shuts down. Hard to know what

is
going
on without seeing the instulation.

om...