Charles

Default Electric Heat question

I have Chromalox thermostats and Emerson baseboard heaters. One is model
BB-81-54, 208/250V 940/1250W. I have the instructions that came with it.
It does not say anything about duty cycle.

This house was built in 1974 and there are a lot of these or similar
units in it.

Thermostat in one room set at 90, room never gets above 65. Sometimes
63. Thermostat turns off before reaching temperature, probably
"anticipatory heating" as one respondent mentioned to my earlier post.

Question is, can I replace the thermostat with one which does not
anticipate or defeat the anticipatory heating in the existing thermostat
without damaging the baseboard heater?

That is, Can the baseboard heater be run continuously without damage?

Neither Emerson nor Chromalox seems to have any kind of e-mail or even
phone customer service.

thanks,

Charles.
Steve@carolinabreezehvac

"Charles" wrote in message
I have Chromalox thermostats and Emerson baseboard heaters. One is model
BB-81-54, 208/250V 940/1250W. I have the instructions that came with it.
It does not say anything about duty cycle.

This house was built in 1974 and there are a lot of these or similar
units in it.

Thermostat in one room set at 90, room never gets above 65. Sometimes
63. Thermostat turns off before reaching temperature, probably
"anticipatory heating" as one respondent mentioned to my earlier post.

Question is, can I replace the thermostat with one which does not
anticipate or defeat the anticipatory heating in the existing thermostat
without damaging the baseboard heater?

Umm....if its a line voltage stat, they dont have anticipators...looking at
a digital Honeywell for baseboard heat....nope....(its built in) and I have
3 different stats for line voltage and none of them have an anticipation
resistor either.

That is, Can the baseboard heater be run continuously without damage?

Just to your wallet...

Neither Emerson nor Chromalox seems to have any kind of e-mail or even
phone customer service.

Sure they do. John Q Public is hard pressed to find it however.
they even have toll free numbers....but you do know that Emerson probably
didnt make that stat right?

I would be checking the heaters themselves.

thanks,

Charles.