FardinA

Default Help is needed for buying a humidifier

Hi,
I am thinking of buying a flow through humidifer ( the one that can be
mounted on furnace ducts) for my new home. Lennox, Honeywell and
AprilAir are my favourite brand names. Based on what I have read from
websites, looks like there is not much difference between these brand
names. Am I right?
I like to install the humidifier myself so I can save some bucks.
Apparently, these brand names teach the owner ( I am sure about
Honeywell) how to install the humidifier. What's your suggestion?
Should I hire a service man to install the unit? Based on your
experience (if you have humidifer), insatlling a humidifier makes a
lot difference in humidity level? I have read a post that the guy
installed a humidifer ,however, the humidity level did not go up very
much. Some people are saying it's good idea to use hot water instead
of cold water. I know why, but that would cause my energy bill goes up
!!.
I am living in Canada where the humidity is pretty low.
m Ransley

April Air has a model you set the humidistat once and it tracks the
proper humidity based on outside temps.

Joseph Meehan

FardinA wrote:
[...]

I think you are going to find that around here the clear winner is
AprilAir. I do have one and I doubt if I would consider any other brand.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Mike Jak

I know some Honeywell models use H1008 that computes rel humidity.
Mainly B models. Like 220B or 260B.

But why bypass? Power 360 can be had from supply houses for less than $200.

Easy to install.

"m Ransley" wrote in message
April Air has a model you set the humidistat once and it tracks the
proper humidity based on outside temps.

Steve@carolinabreezehvac

"FardinA" wrote in message
om...
Hi,
I am thinking of buying a flow through humidifer ( the one that can be
mounted on furnace ducts) for my new home. Lennox, Honeywell and
AprilAir are my favourite brand names.

AprilAire.

Based on what I have read from
websites, looks like there is not much difference between these brand
names. Am I right?

No.

I like to install the humidifier myself so I can save some bucks.
Apparently, these brand names teach the owner ( I am sure about
Honeywell) how to install the humidifier.

They all come with instruction.....the better units dont have the install
video....(hint)

What's your suggestion?

AprilAire.....

Should I hire a service man to install the unit?

You should....that way you can be assured that if anything is ****ed up, he
can pay for it....thats why we have to have insurance.

Based on your
experience (if you have humidifer), insatlling a humidifier makes a
lot difference in humidity level?

I have one, install them, and the answer is, properly installed, yes.

I have read a post that the guy
installed a humidifer ,however, the humidity level did not go up very
much.

And installed wrong, he can end up with mold, burn his house down....or not
get the proper operation, or operation that he expected...I mean....come
on...
You HAVE to size the units correctly, you have to install them right, and
you have to chose the CORRECT type for the home, location, and duct design.
Otherwise, you are ****ing in the wind...

Some people are saying it's good idea to use hot water instead
of cold water. I know why, but that would cause my energy bill goes up
!!.

Not that you will notice.

I am living in Canada where the humidity is pretty low.

Yea..the RL gets pretty low down here too....sheesh..

You need to determine, what type of unit you NEED..not want...but NEED.
Do you need a power type? Bypass? Steam?
Do you have a drain nearby that you can use that will not freeze?
Is the furnace and ductwork located where it will not be subjected to
freezing temps?
Do you have a water connection near that you can run a line from that will
not freeze?
Do you realize you will have to buy MORE than just the humidifier 99% of the
time?(hint, they dont come one size fits all)
Do you have metal duct work that is large enough to properly install the
unit?
Do you have enough room to mount the start collar to install your bypass
line?
Bypass types are only good up to 2100SF, and thats an AprilAire 448
Automatic. is your home that large or larger?
If it is, you will not want a 550 AprilAire since its only good for 1500SF.
Do you have access to pull at least an 18-2 stat wire near or beside your
existing thermostat for the humidistat?
Does your furnace have provisions for a humidifier take off that is ONLY
powered with the W line energized?
Do you need the power sensing relay that is not included with the units?

If you need high capacity, and DO NOT have fiberglass insulation inside your
ductwork, you might want to look into the Skuttle steam line...you can get
them up to 17 gallons of water daily.....they are NOT cheap...but then,
neither is a high cap bypass.

If you have fiberglass insulation inside your ducts, you will for sure want
to invest in a set..thats 2..not one, UV-C band lamps. One on the return
side, and one on the supply side. Its not so much manditory, but a strong
suggestion. This will help to insure any mold spores that are in the system
wont take hold.

You can buy one, hope its right, slap it in, and go from there, or you can
get someone out, allow them to size it, educate your self a bit, and chose
from there.
I would run like hell from Lennox units...altho, they are Honeywells..

m Ransley

You get what you pay for.....

Michael Baugh

What a lame observation. By a WebTVer.
Yes, you get what you pay for, in terms
of possession. But if price were the marker
of quality, which seems to be implied with the
term, the most expensive contractors would
be the best, and Consumer's Reports would
be a bankrupt publication.
What was the humidifier question?

m Ransley wrote in message
You get what you pay for.....

Steve@carolinabreezehvac

"Michael Baugh" wrote in message
What a lame observation. By a WebTVer.
Yes, you get what you pay for, in terms
of possession. But if price were the marker
of quality, which seems to be implied with the
term, the most expensive contractors would
be the best,

Depending on what you are getting, they normally are...not ALWAYS, but the
vast majority of the time.

and Consumer's Reports would
be a bankrupt publication.

How can you rate say.....a product that can be installed several different
ways, each will work, but only one way insures that you have trouble free
operation, with no quality control over the installation other than training
of the installer?
You cant.
They do.
Go figure.

Also, since I was speaking of AC units, heat pumps, etc, the brand they rate
highest, is the one that we fix the most, not installed by us since we dont
sell them...amazing..

What was the humidifier question?

Already answered.

m Ransley wrote in message
You get what you pay for.....

Chet Hayes

"Steve@carolinabreezehvac" wrote in message ...
"FardinA" wrote in message
[...]

I have the Aprilaire powered unit and have been very happy with it.
Also, the question was raised whether to use hot or cold water for the
humidifier. The main difference is hot water will give a higher
output in the same size unit, if that's an issue. And whether that
choice involves an additional energy cost really depends on fuels and
efficiancy. The water gets heated one way or another, either by the
water heater or the furnace. If they both use gas, for example, it's
probably a wash.
Mike Jak

"m Ransley" wrote in message
You get what you pay for.....

And this means what???

I would take pretty much top of the line Honeywell Power 360B over ****ty
a** bypass Aprilaire any day.

Brian

Steve@carolinabreezehvac

"Mike Jak" wrote in message

"m Ransley" wrote in message
You get what you pay for.....

And this means what???

I would take pretty much top of the line Honeywell Power 360B over ****ty
a** bypass Aprilaire any day.

Brian

LOL..you mean the one that uses the AprilAire pad in it? LOLOLOL.....

I think you just want to argue..