Junior Member

Wink Discontinued Glazed wall tiles

I am replacing a toilet suite and have found that the original was fitted directly against the wall rather than on top of the wall tiles and consequently I am left with an unsightly area that requires me to source a number of discontinued glazed wall tiles that were probably made in the early 80s.
I can recall a company name 'Crystal Wall Tiles'. Can anyone help me to identify a possible source of supply?
Many thanks.
Eric Tonks

Tiles, like fashion and car styles, have a short production life. Whatever
was made in the 80s will in all probability not be available now. You may
need to find a contrasting tile of the same thickness and try to create a
pattern so that it looks like it was intended to be that way.

By the way, I remember a company that was called Crystal Wall Tiles. They
were sold in Canada for a while. I sort of recall that they were thin and
economical, about 4" x 4" in size and sold as an early DIY product. Most
tiles are now produced in Europe and other regions.

I checked and found a half dozen tiles that my wife picked up in the late
70s or early 80s, to fit some trivets. They are made by "H & R Johnson Ltd.,
England -- Cristal Tiles", they measure 4 3/8" x 4 3/8" x 1/8" thick.

Have no idea where we got them or where you could find them.

--
ibbotsnm

Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Tonks

"ibbotsnm" wrote in message

I am replacing a toilet suite and have found that the original was
fitted directly against the wall rather than on top of the wall tiles
and consequently I am left with an unsightly area that requires me to
source a number of discontinued glazed wall tiles that were probably
made in the early 80s.
I can recall a company name 'Crystal Wall Tiles'. Can anyone help me to
identify a possible source of supply?
Many thanks.

--
ibbotsnm

Thanks for your very prompt response. The name Johnson will be a great starting point.

NMI
lurking licker

create a
pattern so that it looks like it was intended to be that way.

Eric got that right! That's been my philosophy for years, only not stated so
formally. Mine is " Make it look like it's 'sposed to be that way." Say I am
almost finished with a desk top and put a horrible ding at one end. Stead of
starting all over, cut it out put in a nice enlay, do the same in same place at
the other end. No extra charge for the marquetry.
Maybe some narrow trim tiles sorta outlining the toilet and complimentary or
contrasting tiles inside?
A thing I once did in my showerstall in a similar situation, was buy some
close tiles, and randomly removed some tiles from the walls. then replaced
with some new and mixed new and old randomly in the empty space. It was a
subtle randomness, almost a pattern , and it looked like it was s'posed to be
that way.
yum yum toungy here and here and here and maybe even there

Anyone advise why wall tiles are not adhering well? Mike Barnard UK diy 4 May 10th 04 07:47 PM
drilling wall tiles Grunff UK diy 16 March 31st 04 05:35 PM
Wall tiles: low quality print? Jim Walsh UK diy 2 January 22nd 04 05:19 PM
HELP: vertical foundation crack in new construction Zhixin Tang Home Repair 46 October 26th 03 01:53 PM
Retaining Wall in front of another Retaining Wall MCL Home Repair 0 July 11th 03 03:48 PM