MilkyWhy

Default What Happened to Polarized Plugs

It always annoyed me to get an appliance with that idiotic "fat plug" that kept
getting in your way. Every time I see one, I grind it down to normal size, so
that I can plug any item in, anywhere.

But, notice. If that idiot **** "polarized plug" ever meant a thing, then why
are current appliances NO LONGER equipped with that stupid **** plug? Nothing
you buy today even has that extra-thick plug end on it.
EL

That "stupit **** plug" is used to assist in preventing you from getting electrocuted, when it's feasible and useful to do
so. For example, on a table lamp, the "shell" part of the socket will be connected to the neutral wire (larger prong of the
plug), so as you unscrew the light bulb and the threads become exposed, you can't get a shock off them. On an appliance with
no exposed or potentially-exposed electrical connections, it's not so useful.

Eric Law

"MilkyWhy" wrote in message ...
It always annoyed me to get an appliance with that idiotic "fat plug" that kept
getting in your way. Every time I see one, I grind it down to normal size, so
that I can plug any item in, anywhere.

But, notice. If that idiot **** "polarized plug" ever meant a thing, then why
are current appliances NO LONGER equipped with that stupid **** plug? Nothing
you buy today even has that extra-thick plug end on it.

Robert Barr

MilkyWhy wrote:
It always annoyed me to get an appliance with that idiotic "fat plug" that kept
getting in your way. Every time I see one, I grind it down to normal size, so
that I can plug any item in, anywhere.

Dar·win, Charles Robert

Dar·win (där?win), Charles Robert
1809-1882

British naturalist who revolutionized the study of biology with his
theory of evolution based on natural selection. His most famous works
include Origin of Species (1859) and The Descent of Man (1871).
— Dar·win?i·an adjective & noun
Greg

If something is double insulated or inherently not polarized, like a
transformer, it doesn't need the fat plug.
Martik

If you touch the metal part of some toasters and the sink faucet at the same
time with the polarized plug in backwards you will get full current thru
your body. Don't try it!

"MilkyWhy" wrote in message
It always annoyed me to get an appliance with that idiotic "fat plug" that
kept
getting in your way. Every time I see one, I grind it down to normal size,
so
that I can plug any item in, anywhere.

But, notice. If that idiot **** "polarized plug" ever meant a thing, then
why
are current appliances NO LONGER equipped with that stupid **** plug?
Nothing
you buy today even has that extra-thick plug end on it.

Jeff Wisnia

"MilkyWhy" wrote in message

It always annoyed me to get an appliance with that idiotic "fat plug" that
kept
getting in your way. Every time I see one, I grind it down to normal size,
so
that I can plug any item in, anywhere.

But, notice. If that idiot **** "polarized plug" ever meant a thing, then
why
are current appliances NO LONGER equipped with that stupid **** plug?
Nothing
you buy today even has that extra-thick plug end on it.

If you really meant to say that about a non-broken toaster, then I have
a feeling that your entire alimentary tract has somehow become reversed,
Martik.

What you say happen only if the toaster develops an internal electrical
defect or perhaps if the "metal part" you refer to was an exposed
heating element and soimeone was stupid enough to stick their finger
into the toaster and touch it. And, depending on the nature of an
internal defect, the metal housing of a toaster could be electrically
live even with the plug inserted correctly.

Jeff

--

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"
Jeff Wisnia

EL wrote:

That "stupit **** plug" is used to assist in preventing you from getting electrocuted, when it's feasible and useful to do
so. For example, on a table lamp, the "shell" part of the socket will be connected to the neutral wire (larger prong of the
plug), so as you unscrew the light bulb and the threads become exposed, you can't get a shock off them. On an appliance with
no exposed or potentially-exposed electrical connections, it's not so useful.

And don't trust that every lamp you buy will be wired correctly either.
The typical two wire cord set with a polarized plug on it has a thin
raised stripe molded on the entire length of the conductor which will be
at neutral potential when the plug is inserted into a properly wired
receptacle. That stripe is almost unoticable unless you have a desire to
find it.

But, the goonfaddles in factories and lamp shops here and abroad don't
always honor the connecting of the "striped" wire to the "white" screw
on the lamp sockets, and I've found plenty which were wired "backwards".

Jeff

Eric Law

"MilkyWhy" wrote in message ...

It always annoyed me to get an appliance with that idiotic "fat plug" that kept
getting in your way. Every time I see one, I grind it down to normal size, so
that I can plug any item in, anywhere.

But, notice. If that idiot **** "polarized plug" ever meant a thing, then why
are current appliances NO LONGER equipped with that stupid **** plug? Nothing
you buy today even has that extra-thick plug end on it.

--

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"
Minnie Bannister

If by "extra-thick" you mean "extra-wide," I don't think I have found
any appliances without that kind of plug. And our 30-year old house has
no outlets that the plugs with an extra-wide pin won't fit.

MB

On 11/18/04 11:30 am MilkyWhy put fingers to keyboard and launched the
following message into cyberspace:

It always annoyed me to get an appliance with that idiotic "fat plug" that kept
getting in your way. Every time I see one, I grind it down to normal size, so
that I can plug any item in, anywhere.

But, notice. If that idiot **** "polarized plug" ever meant a thing, then why
are current appliances NO LONGER equipped with that stupid **** plug? Nothing
you buy today even has that extra-thick plug end on it.

Dave

This sounds like a Troll, yanking everybody's chain, to somehow prove
how smart he is. If not, he seriously needs to spend a little remedial time
in high school....

Dave

"MilkyWhy" wrote in message
It always annoyed me to get an appliance with that idiotic "fat plug" that
kept
getting in your way. Every time I see one, I grind it down to normal size,
so
that I can plug any item in, anywhere.

But, notice. If that idiot **** "polarized plug" ever meant a thing, then
why
are current appliances NO LONGER equipped with that stupid **** plug?
Nothing
you buy today even has that extra-thick plug end on it.

MilkyWhy

A dozen replies from PC puke turdballs...and not one of them addressed the
negation of the assinine wide-plugs: nothing comes equipped with that jackass
****, anymore. Meaning: it was all bull**** to begin with.

JerryMouse

MilkyWhy wrote:
It always annoyed me to get an appliance with that idiotic "fat plug"
that kept getting in your way. Every time I see one, I grind it down
to normal size, so that I can plug any item in, anywhere.

But, notice. If that idiot **** "polarized plug" ever meant a thing,
then why are current appliances NO LONGER equipped with that stupid
**** plug? Nothing you buy today even has that extra-thick plug end
on it.

I believe polarized plugs are not required on devices which are
double-insulated.

Of course I could turn out to be a member of a lonely religion.

Dave

It's because the answer is obvious to anyone who has spent a little time
learning about it. Go to your local library and read about it. That
combination of arrogance and ignorance rarely stimulates others to offer
gentle instruction. I suggest that you do so before you put yourself and
your family at risk.

Dave

"MilkyWhy" wrote in message
A dozen replies from PC puke turdballs...and not one of them addressed the
negation of the assinine wide-plugs: nothing comes equipped with that
jackass
****, anymore. Meaning: it was all bull**** to begin with.

Wayne

Troll alert!
MilkyWhy has an uncanny ability to generate entertaining discussion over and
over and over again...

"MilkyWhy" wrote in message
It always annoyed me to get an appliance with that idiotic "fat plug" that

kept
getting in your way. Every time I see one, I grind it down to normal size,

so
that I can plug any item in, anywhere.

But, notice. If that idiot **** "polarized plug" ever meant a thing, then

why
are current appliances NO LONGER equipped with that stupid **** plug?

Nothing
you buy today even has that extra-thick plug end on it.

John W. Wells

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 04:30:51 -0600, "Wayne"
wrote:

Troll alert!
MilkyWhy has an uncanny ability to generate entertaining discussion over and
over and over again...

"Entertaining?!" Gimme a break, Wayne!

--JWW