(remove_this)prosete

Default How to line up picket fence?

I'm in the process of installing an 8-ft high wooden picket fence, the
type that has 1x8 slats with barely a seam between them, which are fixed
unto 4x4 posts set some 10 to 12 feet apart. My question has to do with
the easiest way to align the bottom (or the top) of the slats so that
they follow a straight line between posts, and not contour the land.

Do I simply tie a string or line to each end post and make sure it's
perfectly level, then align the bottom of the slats to the string? Or do
I simply line the top of the slats with each support and end posts, mark
them with a pencil, and use that for the alignment? Have no experience
but I'm willing to experiment until it looks right (and straight).
m Ransley

Rent or buy a Lazer Level, for perfection.

JerryMouse

(remove_this)prosete" "(remove_this)prosete wrote:
I'm in the process of installing an 8-ft high wooden picket fence, the
type that has 1x8 slats with barely a seam between them, which are
fixed unto 4x4 posts set some 10 to 12 feet apart. My question has
to do with the easiest way to align the bottom (or the top) of the
slats so that they follow a straight line between posts, and not
contour the land.
Do I simply tie a string or line to each end post and make sure it's
perfectly level, then align the bottom of the slats to the string? Or
do I simply line the top of the slats with each support and end
posts, mark them with a pencil, and use that for the alignment? Have
no experience but I'm willing to experiment until it looks right (and
straight).

Align the tops. Irregular picket length will not be noticed through the
grass but will be obvious at the top.

Hint:

Buy the pickets. Let them dry (in the garage) with air on all sides for as
long as you can stand it (a month is probably adequate). Else when you put
them up, they will shrink as they dry leaving a 3/8" gap between the boards.

mikey

What length are the 4x4 posts?
One rule of thumb I go by is 1/3rd of each
post should be underground. The fence described
would then need 12' long 4x4s with 4 feet of them
in the ground. That's a mighty deep hole...

Spacing the posts 10 or 12 feet apart may be
an issue. At 10' separation each post supports
80 sq ft of fence, at 12' separation each post
supports 96 sq ft of fence.

Codes in our area (for those windy days) require
no more than 32 sq ft of fence per post. YMMV, but
I'd be comfortable with no more than 64 sq ft of fence
per post, especially if less than 1/3rd of each post
is buried.

mikey.