slushfund

Default just a follow up

Just wanted to let you know about insulating a toilet tank. Last post
around a month ago.Finally found some foam at HD. It's used as a barrier
between the foundation and sill plate of a house. Comes in 3 1/2, 5 1/2 and
7 1/2 inch widths on a roll that's 50 ft long. 5 1/2 inches fits just about
perfect on the bottom of a toilet tank without much trimming. I realize 50
ft is a lot but the entire roll was only $5. Tried to adhere it with some
adhesive that came in a tube like silicone caulk but it didn't hold at all.
Had to take it apart again and use silicone caulk this time and worked
perfectly.

willshak

slushfund wrote:

Just wanted to let you know about insulating a toilet tank. Last post
around a month ago.Finally found some foam at HD. It's used as a barrier
between the foundation and sill plate of a house. Comes in 3 1/2, 5 1/2 and
7 1/2 inch widths on a roll that's 50 ft long. 5 1/2 inches fits just about
perfect on the bottom of a toilet tank without much trimming. I realize 50
ft is a lot but the entire roll was only $5. Tried to adhere it with some
adhesive that came in a tube like silicone caulk but it didn't hold at all.
Had to take it apart again and use silicone caulk this time and worked
perfectly.

Saw a kit at Lowes. 5 precut styrofoam pieces with adhesive in a clear
plastic bag. In the aisle with the toilet tank repair parts.
slushfund

HD had the same kit. When I got it home the pieces were nowhere near the
same as what I needed, particularly the bottom piece with the cutouts
already for the flapper valve and the fluidmaster inlet valve. I hate
working with that white styrofoam **** anyways. It always seems to want to
break off some little white pieces that you can never seem to get rid of.
That's why I opted for this very bendable and tough foam. It's about an 1/8
inch thick and like I said comes in various widths. It is pink but ain't
nobody gonna see it in my toilet.
I tried the stryrofoam but the spray adhesive I used just seemed to
eat the syrofoam up. It got real soft, real quick.