Pefferie

Default Identifying a shutoff gate valve brand

Hi,
The shutoff valve in my house does not work. I would like to fix it
with parts of another valve, but I do not know what brand I need - the
little identification plate that is usually on the handle is missing.
It looks similar to http://ts.smoothcorp.com/cornerhardw...1.299x299.jpeg,
except that the handle of the valve is light green in color, or
blueish-green. The house was built in 1975. If you have the same
valve, could you please tell me what brand it is it (it should be
indicated on a small plate at the center of the handle).
Thanks!
Joe Bobst

The shutoff valve in my house does not work.

Now's your chance to modernize it with a quarter turn ball valve. The odds on
your being able to repair what you have are close to zero. Don't risk a future
flood, do it right and you'll be saving money by not having to do it over. Good
luck.

Joe
William Brown

Do you have a way to stop the water before it gets to this shutoff? If
so, just take the guts to a good hardware store and they will find the
appropriate replacements; most likely you just need a new washer.

Pefferie wrote:

Hi,
The shutoff valve in my house does not work. I would like to fix it
with parts of another valve, but I do not know what brand I need - the
little identification plate that is usually on the handle is missing.
It looks similar to http://ts.smoothcorp.com/cornerhardw...1.299x299.jpeg,
except that the handle of the valve is light green in color, or
blueish-green. The house was built in 1975. If you have the same
valve, could you please tell me what brand it is it (it should be
indicated on a small plate at the center of the handle).
Thanks!

there.
Joe Bobst

most likely you just need a new washer.

Gate valves don't have washers, they use sliding plates or "gates". HTH

Joe

willshak

Chet Hayes wrote:

(Joe Bobst) wrote in message ...

most likely you just need a new washer.

Gate valves don't have washers, they use sliding plates or "gates". HTH

Joe

Yes, but if you look at the pic, what he has is not a gate valve, it's
a regular one.

The picture is of a 'gate valve'. What you call a 'regular' valve is a
'stop valve' which is the most common valve installed in homes. There is
an outward difference in appearance between the two types.
A 'gate valve' is usually shorter between the threaded ends and has
straight sides between the base and the top. A 'stop valve' has a bulge,
or 'belly', between the base and top to accommodate the split chamber
inside.
Chet Hayes

willshak wrote in message ...
Chet Hayes wrote:

(Joe Bobst) wrote in message ...

most likely you just need a new washer.

Gate valves don't have washers, they use sliding plates or "gates". HTH

Joe

Yes, but if you look at the pic, what he has is not a gate valve, it's
a regular one.

The picture is of a 'gate valve'. What you call a 'regular' valve is a
'stop valve' which is the most common valve installed in homes. There is
an outward difference in appearance between the two types.
A 'gate valve' is usually shorter between the threaded ends and has
straight sides between the base and the top. A 'stop valve' has a bulge,
or 'belly', between the base and top to accommodate the split chamber
inside.

Thanks for pointing that out. I've only seen gate valves with the
rectangular type handle, as opposed to a round one. That's why I
mis-identified it.