Chet Hayes

willshak wrote in message ...
Chet Hayes wrote:

(Joe Bobst) wrote in message ...

most likely you just need a new washer.

Gate valves don't have washers, they use sliding plates or "gates". HTH

Joe

Yes, but if you look at the pic, what he has is not a gate valve, it's
a regular one.

The picture is of a 'gate valve'. What you call a 'regular' valve is a
'stop valve' which is the most common valve installed in homes. There is
an outward difference in appearance between the two types.
A 'gate valve' is usually shorter between the threaded ends and has
straight sides between the base and the top. A 'stop valve' has a bulge,
or 'belly', between the base and top to accommodate the split chamber
inside.

Thanks for pointing that out. I've only seen gate valves with the
rectangular type handle, as opposed to a round one. That's why I
mis-identified it.