Den

Default In-line fuse

Group:

I have a step-up transformer (115V-230V) rated for 100VA that I use for
powering various low wattage European appliances. I've had a visitor from
Europe use it and overload it. It heated-up quite nicely, but fortunately
seems to be undamaged. I'd like to put an inline fuse on the input (i.e.
115V) side to prevent inadvertant overloads by people who don't understand
what "you can use it for your hair curler but not for your hairdrier" means.

Does anyone know of a modular unit that has a standard US plug on one side,
socket on the other and a modular fuse? Hmm, sounds like I'm trying to
build a UK-style plug!

Cheers

Joseph Meehan

Den wrote:
Group:

I have a step-up transformer (115V-230V) rated for 100VA that I use for
powering various low wattage European appliances. I've had a visitor from
Europe use it and overload it. It heated-up quite nicely, but fortunately
seems to be undamaged. I'd like to put an inline fuse on the input (i.e.
115V) side to prevent inadvertant overloads by people who don't understand
what "you can use it for your hair curler but not for your hairdrier"
means.

Does anyone know of a modular unit that has a standard US plug on one
side,
socket on the other and a modular fuse? Hmm, sounds like I'm trying to
build a UK-style plug!

Cheers

Since you want to protect the transformer, I suggest putting in a box
ahead of the transformer and put in an appropriate breaker in place.

Of course I have to ask; why don't you just use the standard 220V
already available rather than use a step-up transformer?

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

m Ransley

As Joe said why not rewire for 220, using a transformer will waiste
10-20 % in conversion. Fuse the circuit properly, but hot does not mean
it is damaged, perhaps an undersized transformer.

John Grabowski

Daniel Woodhead makes a 15 amp,125 volt plug with a fuse holder in it.
Model number 14F47 is yellow and Model number 85125 is hospital grade
transparent. You can see them he
http://www.woodhead.com/data/current1864/15amp%20wd.pdf

You will need to go to an electrical supply house to purchase one. It may
not be a stock item for some of the smaller supply houses.

John Grabowski
http://www.mrelectrician.tv

"Den" wrote in message news:%Jihd.7674$vB.4415@trnddc03...
Group:

I have a step-up transformer (115V-230V) rated for 100VA that I use for
powering various low wattage European appliances. I've had a visitor from
Europe use it and overload it. It heated-up quite nicely, but fortunately
seems to be undamaged. I'd like to put an inline fuse on the input (i.e.
115V) side to prevent inadvertant overloads by people who don't understand
what "you can use it for your hair curler but not for your hairdrier"

means.

Does anyone know of a modular unit that has a standard US plug on one

side,
socket on the other and a modular fuse? Hmm, sounds like I'm trying to
build a UK-style plug!

Cheers

Den

Joseph

Thanks for this. At the moment we only have 110V circuits in our house. I
might get a couple of 220V circuits run when I start to remodel (but not
just yet!)

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
Den wrote:
[...]

Den

John

Thanks for this.

Out of interest, why is it only the UK & Ireland that routinely put fuses in
plugs?

Cheers

"John Grabowski" wrote in message
t...
[...]

Palindr˜»me

Den wrote:

John

Thanks for this.

Out of interest, why is it only the UK & Ireland that routinely put fuses in
plugs?

I don't think they are the only ones but it may be due to the use of ring
distribution circuits rather than radial. With no fuse in the plug, the
first fuse outside the equipment would be 30A or some 7.5kW.