JT

Default Harwood Floors/ Particle Board ARGH!

HELP!
I was about to install 800 sqft of 3 1/4 maples hardwood upstairs when
a friend mentioned, hey you have particle board underlayment - you
can't install hardwoods on PB. It seems EXTREMELY difficult to remove.
Should I try to remove it? If so, is there a trick to removing it? Can
I just nail and screw down plywood overtop of it? Any advice you can
provide would be GREATLY appreciated!
thanks!
SQLit

"JT" wrote in message
om...
HELP!
I was about to install 800 sqft of 3 1/4 maples hardwood upstairs when
a friend mentioned, hey you have particle board underlayment - you
can't install hardwoods on PB. It seems EXTREMELY difficult to remove.
Should I try to remove it? If so, is there a trick to removing it? Can
I just nail and screw down plywood overtop of it? Any advice you can
provide would be GREATLY appreciated!
thanks!

I some what doubt that you have particle board as flooring. Maybe
OSB/stranded/chip board. These can be used for structural. Particle board is
used for cabinets and shelves.
Better check before you jump

Kyle Boatright

"SQLit" wrote in message

"JT" wrote in message
om...
HELP!
I was about to install 800 sqft of 3 1/4 maples hardwood upstairs when
a friend mentioned, hey you have particle board underlayment - you
can't install hardwoods on PB. It seems EXTREMELY difficult to remove.
Should I try to remove it? If so, is there a trick to removing it? Can
I just nail and screw down plywood overtop of it? Any advice you can
provide would be GREATLY appreciated!
thanks!

I some what doubt that you have particle board as flooring. Maybe
OSB/stranded/chip board. These can be used for structural. Particle board
is
used for cabinets and shelves.
Better check before you jump

Particle board was definitely used in lots of '70's houses. My parents have
one of those, and since they are installing hardwoods in yet another room,
they are dealing with the same issue. I'd simply set my circular saw to a
reasonable depth, cut the particle board into managable sections, and use a
pry bar to remove it.

KB

Mark & Mary Ann Weiss

Particle board was definitely used in lots of '70's houses. My parents

have
one of those, and since they are installing hardwoods in yet another room,
they are dealing with the same issue. I'd simply set my circular saw to a
reasonable depth, cut the particle board into managable sections, and use

pry bar to remove it.

KB

Same here for one bedroom. I tore it all up and replaced it with 5/8"
span-rated underlayment. Lots of work, but can be done in half a day or less
if you're organized.

--
Take care,

Mark & Mary Ann Weiss

VIDEO PRODUCTION • FILM SCANNING • DVD MASTERING • AUDIO RESTORATION
Hear my Kurzweil Creations at: http://www.dv-clips.com/theater.htm
Business sites at:
www.dv-clips.com
www.mwcomms.com
www.adventuresinanimemusic.com
-

JT

Thanks! That's exactly what I ended up doing, and it seems to be
working pretty well. Unfortunately, we just finished painting all our
rooms, now they're covered in sawdust! cant win!
thanks again