Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
John Hines

Default Gas or Oil?

David L wrote:

I guess the first consideration would the price of the fuel. The gas
people say natural gas is cheaper and the oil people say oil is cheaper.
I'm locked in at $1.65 for the winter. I think I timed it right before
it skyrocketed in October. I think a 1 year cap price now is about
$2.10. The gas company told me gas is at $1.72/therm. How do I compare
the numbers to see which is cheaper? What's the equation to figure that
out? Is there any indication of which would be cheaper over time or are
there just too many variables and it's impossible to know which will be
cheaper 5 years from now?

I recently compared my natural gas bills (92-04) with someone's memory
of gasoline prices, and found that both had gone up the same 230%.

With gas, you pay whatever you utility charges you, thus it is one less
thing to have to worry about, the oil market place, capping, timing,
etc.

What has the price of gas done over your billing history for the stove?