germaninal

Default Receptacles in one room don't work

The weirdest thing happened in our sunroom, and we can't figure out
what's wrong. Any input is appreciated!

A few days ago, all the receptacles quit working. The ceiling fan and
light works though. This sunroom used to be our covered patio and when
it was a patio, there were two receptacles that were put in when the
house was built. When we added the sunroom, two more receptacles were
put in, but they are connected to a receptacle in the adjoining
bedroom (the receptacle in the bedroom works just fine). So in other
words, there are four receptacles in our sunroom, two of them get
their electricity from one source, the other two get theirs from
another source. These two sources are working just fine, yet neither
one of the four receptacles in the sunroom works, and they quit
working one from day to the next.

Where should we start trying to figure out what the problem is?

Thank you to everybody for their (hopefully helpful) expert opinion!
Angela
Phil Munro

I would guess that one of the receptacles in the sunroom is a GFI,
and it has tripped. It will be the one controlling all the receptacles
in that new room. See if you can find it, and reset it.
GFIs are great, but they are also a consternation to people who are
not aware of what they do and how ONE of them can control OTHER plugs.
--Phil

germaninal wrote:

[...]

Youngstown State University
Youngstown, Ohio 44555
Joe Bobst

I would guess that one of the receptacles in the sunroom is a GFI, and it
has tripped.

And if that isn't it, the sunroom may be blessed with El Cheapo backstabber
outlets or (shudder) aluminum wiring. Remove the backwired outlets and
reinstall using the screw terminals and that will solve one problem. Good luck.

Joe

Joseph Meehan

Phil Munro wrote:
I would guess that one of the receptacles in the sunroom is a GFI,
and it has tripped. It will be the one controlling all the receptacles
in that new room. See if you can find it, and reset it.
GFIs are great, but they are also a consternation to people who are
not aware of what they do and how ONE of them can control OTHER plugs.
--Phil

Or it may be a GFI somewhere else, like the breaker box (or even a
breaker) or in a bathroom, kitchen garage etc. Look for all the GFI's.
That is the most likely problem.

As noted by Joe, it may also be a bad connection at any one of the
outlets, or even the fan switch or an outlet in another room. (note that
outlet may still be working.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math