orangetrader

Default Putting up a mail box

The previous owner of the house has a mailbox outside in the front yard at
the side of the road. It has a wrought iron post and is all corroded and
the mail box itself is all chipped and corroded as well.

I brought a new wall mount mail box and mounted it next to the entrance. I
then went to remove the one near the street. As I start to remove it it
seems to be anchored real deep. I thought it was just the wrought iron post
pounded 18-24" into the ground, but now I think may be there is poured
concrete down there...so I started to dig...and the mail truck came and he
stopped and asked me what I was doing. I explained to him and he told me I
cannot switch to a wall mount, it has to be on the street even some of my
neighbors have wall mounted boxes. Apparently those were "grandfathered in"
and allowed but no new box can be mounted on the structure.

Now I need to buy a new mail box and post. Question is how can I build a
new post? Do I need to dig a deep hole, pour some concrete in and stick in
an iron post? Is this the best way?

Thanks,

willshak

orangetrader wrote:

[...]

Probably the only way. You can dig out the old concrete or move the
mailbox post a couple of feet away. When I first moved into my house on
a rural mail route, I mounted a metal post box on one side of my
driveway. Unfortunately, there was a driveway directly accross the
street and visitors to that house invariably backed into my post,
denting it. The last straw was when a pizza delivery car backed into and
snapped it off. I then moved the mailbox to the other side of my
driveway and built a 4x4 PT mailbox post buried in concrete. It's been
there for about 18 years now.
Buy an 8' pressure treated post and make your own or go to HD or Lowes
and buy the PT mailbox kit and a bag of quikrete cement. Dig the hole,
mix the concrete, pour some in the hole, put the pole in, pour the rest
of the concrete in the hole around the post, make sure the post is
plumb, brace it so it doesn't go out of plumb until it dries, and then
back fill. Mount your mailbox on the arm of the post. Paint the pole
next year.

Edwin Pawlowski

"orangetrader" wrote in message

As I start to remove it it
seems to be anchored real deep. I thought it was just the wrought iron
post
pounded 18-24" into the ground, but now I think may be there is poured
concrete down there..

If you can cut or break it off just below the ground, you won't ever know it
was there.

Now I need to buy a new mail box and post. Question is how can I build a
new post? Do I need to dig a deep hole, pour some concrete in and stick
in
an iron post? Is this the best way?

You have a few options. I bought a setup that just get hammered into the
ground. IIRC, it was made by Rubbermaid and is available at Wal Mart, Home
Despot, etc. You hammer in the base, then sit the pole atop it and last,
mount the box. It was relatively cheap, is sturdy and looks OK. We get snow
and the plow comes within inches of the box and has yet to damage it.

You can go the 4 x 4 wood route also. Use pressure treated and it will last
for many years. That requires some digging to set it in deep enough.

Martin

I brought a new wall mount mail box and mounted it next to the entrance.

Going from a drive-up box to a wall box is a big deal to the Postal Service
because of the extra time it takes. I would call the supervisor if its a real
problem.

Now I need to buy a new mail box and post. Question is how can I build a

new post?

I would buy one at the local home improvement store. Just remember that the
height must be such that it can be serviced from the truck.

Do I need to dig a deep hole, pour some concrete in and stick in an iron post?

Is this the best way?

Use the hole that's there and put in the new, probably wooden, post. If you
need some extra stability you can always drop in boken pieces of
concrete/pavers recycled from another project.

Martin the letter carrier
)

"Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it"
George Santyanna

http://members.aol.com/Spielmanjr/index.html
http://hometown.aol.com/Spielmanjr/index3.html
http://members.aol.com/voyagerlass/index.html

Nehmo Sergheyev

- orangetrader -
Now I need to buy a new mail box and post. Question is how can I

build a
new post?

- Nehmo -
Anything by the side of a road has the potential to be hit by a vehicle
going off the road. A conscientious mail box installer plans for this
possibility, and the first concern is that an impact of vehicle and the
mail box & post doesn't kill anybody. Modern street light poles are
break-away. Make your mail box post with similar forethought. Make it
weak, brittle, or flexible.

Make the post of PVC, ABS, fiberglass rod, or a 2x2. If a car breaks the
mail box down, that's what was supposed to happen.

--
*********************
* Nehmo Sergheyev *

PrecisionMachinisT

Get a po box and tell that social reject to go **** him self.

--

SVL

PrecisionMachinisT

"PrecisionMachinisT" wrote in message

"orangetrader" wrote in message

concrete down there...so I started to dig...and the mail truck came and

he
stopped and asked me what I was doing. I explained to him and he told

me
cannot switch to a wall mount, it has to be on the street even some of

my
neighbors have wall mounted boxes. Apparently those were "grandfathered

in"

Get a po box and tell that social reject to go **** him self.

Ooops....

Forgot............overpaid, ignorant AND lazy social reject........

====

Oh, and I have an "admirer"..........

Hi ya Rick.....

You must got nothing better to do than follow me around on the internet, but
Im wondering.........

Where in the hell is my damned pizza, you sorry assed ****ing loser ???

I got three sons and all four of them are named "William".....and my wife is
named Georgia--now you go and figure, you sick son of a bitch--you want my
social security number too ???

Soon Im gonna just *have* to call the authoritys........

--

SVL

Joseph Meehan

Martin wrote:
I brought a new wall mount mail box and mounted it next to the entrance.

Going from a drive-up box to a wall box is a big deal to the Postal
Service
because of the extra time it takes. I would call the supervisor if its a
real problem.

You can go to the USPS site and you will find that it is their rule.
Existing wall mounts are allowed to stay, but not new ones. In some areas
they are even eliminating the existing ones.

I suggest as other have,. Cut the existing one off below grade and put
in a new one. Dig a new hole or try one of the metal spike type things from
the Big Box store that uses a 4x4 post.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

bumtracks

====

Oh, and I have an "admirer"..........

Hi ya Rick.....

You must got nothing better to do than follow me around on the internet,

but
Im wondering.........

Where in the hell is my damned pizza, you sorry assed ****ing loser ???

I got three sons and all four of them are named "William".....and my wife

is
named Georgia--now you go and figure, you sick son of a bitch--you want my
social security number too ???

Soon Im gonna just *have* to call the authoritys........

--

Gotta be two sides to every story .. and only have a drift of one . tell
more ?

willshak

Nehmo Sergheyev wrote:

- orangetrader -

Now I need to buy a new mail box and post. Question is how can I

build a

new post?

- Nehmo -
Anything by the side of a road has the potential to be hit by a vehicle
going off the road. A conscientious mail box installer plans for this
possibility, and the first concern is that an impact of vehicle and the
mail box & post doesn't kill anybody. Modern street light poles are
break-away. Make your mail box post with similar forethought. Make it
weak, brittle, or flexible.

Make the post of PVC, ABS, fiberglass rod, or a 2x2. If a car breaks the
mail box down, that's what was supposed to happen.

Yeah, and have the utility company take down any poles that may be close
to the road on your property. Also, take down any concrete walls or
posts you may have along the edge of the roadway, and remove any trees
that may get hit by a car. You should also buy a whole lot of those
water filled plastic barrier barrels and line them up along your frontage.
Nehmo Sergheyev

- Nehmo -
Anything by the side of a road has the potential to be hit by a

vehicle
going off the road. A conscientious mail box installer plans for this
possibility, and the first concern is that an impact of vehicle and

the
mail box & post doesn't kill anybody. Modern street light poles are
break-away. Make your mail box post with similar forethought. Make it
weak, brittle, or flexible.

Make the post of PVC, ABS, fiberglass rod, or a 2x2. If a car breaks

the
mail box down, that's what was supposed to happen.

- B©©B -
A 2x2 ??????????????????????/
What the F--K ??????

Cheezzzzzus Key Risst. Why not just use some galldam toiletpaper roll
cores, and scotch tape them together.

I see this thread is dominated by idiots. I should have known that
installing a mailbox was too much for many of you who replied here.

Your mailbox is NOT going to kill anyone. It just sits there on it's
post minding it's own business. If some drunk hits it with his car,
he deserves to die.

- Nehmo -
You've never accidently driven off the road, B©©B?

Have you ever *been driven* off the road by another vehicle?

Have you ever been a passenger of a car?

--
*********************
* Nehmo Sergheyev *

Nehmo Sergheyev

- Nehmo -
Make it weak, brittle, or flexible.

Make the post of PVC, ABS, fiberglass rod, or a 2x2. If a car breaks

the
mail box down, that's what was supposed to happen.

- willshak -
Yeah, and have the utility company take down any poles that may be

close
to the road on your property.

- Nehmo -
Utilitiy companies and governments do recognize that vehicles don't
always stay on the road, and utility companies and governements have
taken, and are taking, steps to accomodate these events. Using the
break-away poles I mentioned earlier is one method of dealing with the
problem. Thouthful positioning of the poles is another.

Many existing utility lines are located where they are because it was
convenientent to install them there. Modern design places more emphsis
on saftey.

- willshak -
Also, take down any concrete walls or
posts you may have along the edge of the roadway, and remove any trees
that may get hit by a car.

You should also buy a whole lot of those
water filled plastic barrier barrels and line them up along your

frontage.

- Nehmo -
A shallow trench filled with sand would work too. If your property is
located on a risky stretch of road, this is an option.

Highway Illumination Manual:
http://snipurl.com/a0ge
--
*********************
* Nehmo Sergheyev *

Phisherman

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 22:04:23 -0400, "orangetrader"
wrote:

[...]

First of all get guidelines about your mail box from the post office.
This will tell you exactly where to mount the box. The post and how
to secure it is up to you. For example, you can buy a PT 4x4 and a
bag of cement or buy one that you simply push into the ground.
Another option is to get a PO box and not have a mailbox at all.

PrecisionMachinisT

"bumtracks" wrote in message

====

Oh, and I have an "admirer"..........

Hi ya Rick.....

You must got nothing better to do than follow me around on the internet,

but
Im wondering.........

Where in the hell is my damned pizza, you sorry assed ****ing loser ???

I got three sons and all four of them are named "William".....and my

wife
is
named Georgia--now you go and figure, you sick son of a bitch--you want

my
social security number too ???

Soon Im gonna just *have* to call the authoritys........

--

Gotta be two sides to every story .. and only have a drift of one . tell
more ?

Nope......

Its a teaser--he cant respond without letting on that he IS in fact
following me around.

BEG

--

SVL

Greg

Why should running off the road and destroying private property be a totally
risk free endevor?
What percentage of drivers who mow down a mailbox actually stop and offer to
reimburse the owner?
A friend of mine couldn't keep a mailbox, until he put it up on an 8" box beam,
poured solid with concrete. The next guy who hit it tried to make a case ...
until he pointed out the 25MPH speed limit sign next to the box and measured
the skid marks.
You have no legal obligation to make things on your property idiot safe, in
spite of what an ambulance chasing attorney may try to prove in court.

Shakespear had it right "Kill all the lawyers".
willshak

Nehmo Sergheyev wrote:

- Nehmo -

[...]

How about a water filled moat?
Do you own a home located on a street, and have you protected all users
of the roadway so that they don't get hurt if they run off the road onto
your property?

Highway Illumination Manual:
http://snipurl.com/a0ge

Sorry. That is for street lights, traffic signs, and traffic signals. It
does not mention poles that carry electric, telephone, or cable TV
wiring; much less mailbox posts.
We have wooden utility poles here and have no street lights, except at
intersections, and they use the same wooden pole to mount the lights.
Anyway, I figure that a 4x4 mailbox post set in concrete would provide
more safety than a fragile breakaway mailbox post would. If a car ran
into it, it might slow down the car enough so that it doesn't hit that
big oak tree 10' behind it at full speed.
Nehmo Sergheyev

- Greg -
Why should running off the road and destroying private property be a

totally
risk free endevor?
What percentage of drivers who mow down a mailbox actually stop and

offer to
reimburse the owner?

- Nehmo -
The one who gets injuried is not always the guilty driver. There are
passengers and sometimes the driver is forced off the road.

- Greg -
A friend of mine couldn't keep a mailbox, until he put it up on an 8"

box beam,
poured solid with concrete. The next guy who hit it tried to make a

case ...
until he pointed out the 25MPH speed limit sign next to the box and

measured
the skid marks.
You have no legal obligation to make things on your property idiot

safe,

- Nehmo -
That's not quite true. It depends. But I'm simply talking about the
moral obligation to minimize hazards.

--
*********************
* Nehmo Sergheyev *

Oscar_Lives

"Nehmo Sergheyev" wrote in message
- orangetrader -
Now I need to buy a new mail box and post. Question is how can I

build a
new post?

- Nehmo -
Anything by the side of a road has the potential to be hit by a vehicle
going off the road. A conscientious mail box installer plans for this
possibility, and the first concern is that an impact of vehicle and the
mail box & post doesn't kill anybody. Modern street light poles are
break-away. Make your mail box post with similar forethought. Make it
weak, brittle, or flexible.

Make the post of PVC, ABS, fiberglass rod, or a 2x2. If a car breaks the
mail box down, that's what was supposed to happen.

--
*********************
* Nehmo Sergheyev *
*********************

This is bull****. It some drunk hits my mailbox, I want to help encourage
him to meet his maker.

I have a friend out on a country road who used to lose his mail box to
joy-riding good ol' boys every other saturday night. Finally, he fixed it
good: He got a 6" heavy steel "I" beam, sunk it into about 3.5 feet of
concrete, and covered it with a thin veneer of bark to make it look like an
ol tree limb. The next sunday morning, he found tracks in the mud leading
up to his mailbox, with a couple of scrapes on the bark, antifreeze all over
the ground, and broken glass and turn signal lens laying all around.

If some ******* hits my mailbox, I want to make sure he know it.

Martin

---I got three sons and all four of them are named "William".....and my wife is
named Georgia---

I'm wondering about where to send the abuse note concerning your vulgarities.
I suppose abuse @hotmail.com will have to do.

"Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it"
George Santyanna

http://members.aol.com/Spielmanjr/index.html
http://hometown.aol.com/Spielmanjr/index3.html
http://members.aol.com/voyagerlass/index.html

Greg

That's not quite true. It depends. But I'm simply talking about the
moral obligation to minimize hazards.

Spoken like a man who has hit more mailboxes than he has had to replace.
orangetrader

No need to insult.

The post is a flimsy wrought iron post that is badly corroded. I don't
think any spray paint would help. I have already spray painted it last year
and within a month it the corrosion came right back. This is Miami with
beating sun and driving rain day in day out.

wrote:

[...]

*** YOU IDIOT ***

If the post is that sturdy, leave the fu--ing thing alone.....
Buy a couple cans of spray paint, and paint the iron post.
Buy a new mailbox for about $10 and mount it to the post.
Job done. Total expense, under $20. Total time for a NORMAL person
to do the labor 2 hours or less. In YOUR case, you may need to hire a
professional mailbox installer to screw the box to the post and hire a
professional painter to spray the post. Total cost $2000. Total time
for you to spend calling contractors to do the job, 2 hours on the
phone.

B©©B

Greg

This is Miami with
beating sun and driving rain day in day out.

You could go to an aluminum scrap yard and pick up a 3" aluminum post for a few
bucks. It would last forever. Pick up some pieces of angle while you are there
to fasten the box to.
This stuff is less than a buck a pound at the scrap yard and you can usually
find brand new material that was left over from a job.
Nehmo Sergheyev

- Nehmo –
That's not quite true. It depends. But I'm simply talking about the
moral obligation to minimize hazards.

- Greg -
Spoken like a man who has hit more mailboxes than he has had to

replace.

- Nehmo –
Apparently you are saying the chore of replacing a mail box is something
I haven't experienced and if I had experienced it, I would be willing to
put others in peril to avoid doing it again. (You are also suggesting
that I've hit mail boxes.)

A public safety issue should be dealt with on a broader scale than
individual experience. Changing a mail box may be an unwanted choir to
someone, but being crippled for life is more unpleasant. And to a lesser
degree, paying taxes or insurance premiums to pay for injuries is more
unpleasant. Changing a mail box, or even something bigger like a street
light, is no big deal comparatively.

Some people mount their mail box on an arm that rotates to the side when
hit. That's one idea.

--
*********************
* Nehmo Sergheyev *

PrecisionMachinisT

"Martin" wrote in message
---I got three sons and all four of them are named "William".....and my

wife is
named Georgia---

I'm wondering about where to send the abuse note concerning your

vulgarities.
I suppose abuse @hotmail.com will have to do.

Yup yup--always lotsa fun to be had sending whiney complaints to the great
bit bucket in the sky........Feeling better now ???

=====

And now heres a link just for you :

http://www.improb.com/airchives/pape...ostal-6-4.html

--

SVL

Nehmo Sergheyev

- Oscar_Lives -
The next sunday morning, he found tracks in the mud leading
up to his mailbox, with a couple of scrapes on the bark, antifreeze

all over
the ground, and broken glass and turn signal lens laying all around.

- Nehmo -
While looking over the debris, he heard the phone ring. It was officer
speaking in somber tones explaining to him what brought your friend's
daughter to the hospital. Apparently someone was giving his daughter a
ride home and they were just about there. Then a car in the oncoming
lane had a front-left blowout and the vehicle lunged across the center
line. The driver of the car carrying the daughter had no choice but to
ditch to the right. The doctors didn't have a clear assessment of the
daughter's injuries yet because she hadn't regained consciousness.

- Oscar_Lives -
If some ******* hits my mailbox, I want to make sure he know it.

--
*********************
* Nehmo Sergheyev *
*********************

Phisherman

Rustoleum Rusty Primer. Wire brush any loose rust off the post, then
paint. A day later paint the color you wish. Although flimsy,
painting is your easiest, cheapest option.

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 00:32:56 -0400, "orangetrader"
wrote:

No need to insult.

The post is a flimsy wrought iron post that is badly corroded. I don't
think any spray paint would help. I have already spray painted it last year
and within a month it the corrosion came right back. This is Miami with
beating sun and driving rain day in day out.

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Greg

Apparently you are saying the chore of replacing a mail box is something
I haven't experienced and if I had experienced it, I would be willing to
put others in peril to avoid doing it again. (You are also suggesting
that I've hit mail boxes.)

I wonder of you have even seen one.
MUADIB®

- Nehmo -
The one who gets injuried is not always the guilty driver. There are
passengers and sometimes the driver is forced off the road.

Still,........Make it the fault of the appropriate being, not the
property owner that was "in the way"

Whatever happened to natural selection?????

The driver/owner of the car should have bought a car that was
indestructible or better yet not be allowed to have passengers.

I'm not saying that idiots *must* die. I'm saying they should be
*allowed* to die. Choice is not given anymore. and Fault is assigned
to people that weren't even involved.

My house is on the "target" side of a curve. If someone falls asleep
and runs through my yard and into the 4' plus thick tree trunk and
dies.................Well, I hate to say this, But it has nothing to
do with me. As an aside, I think The driver would be responsible for
replacement or repair of the tree...............Can't put 30 years of
tree back just by throwing in a sappling either. So where does the
madness end???? I'd probably not sue for anything, but that's just me.
I feel like the dead sucke............the injured ..............the
victim?..............Whatever has gone through enough at that point.

( I ain;t buyin the victim thang either )

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

http://www.angelfire.com/retro/sster...IN%20PAGE.html

one small step for man,.....
One giant leap for attorneys.
MUADIB®

While looking over the debris, he heard the phone ring. It was officer
speaking in somber tones explaining to him what brought your friend's
daughter to the hospital. Apparently someone was giving his daughter a
ride home and they were just about there. Then a car in the oncoming
lane had a front-left blowout and the vehicle lunged across the center
line. The driver of the car carrying the daughter had no choice but to
ditch to the right. The doctors didn't have a clear assessment of the
daughter's injuries yet because she hadn't regained consciousness.

Some pretty long odds........................

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

http://www.angelfire.com/retro/sster...IN%20PAGE.html

one small step for man,.....
One giant leap for attorneys.

HorneTD

Oscar_Lives wrote:
[...]

I for one draw the line at setting out to kill or maim someone who hits
my mailbox unintentionally. Anything that is in the public easement
should be constructed to minimize injury to the occupants of a motor
vehicle in the event of a collision with that object. If the box is
mounted out of the easement then I suppose it is your business.
--
Tom H

wrote:

Now I need to buy a new mail box and post. Question is how can I build a
new post? Do I need to dig a deep hole, pour some concrete in and stick in
an iron post? Is this the best way?

I just put up a new mailbox. The old post rotted out. If you
have some post hole diggers, just buy a pressure treated post and drop
it in. It helps to have a tamper too. Pack the dirt around as you
fill hole back in, will last for years. Cheaper than the Lowe,s etc.
ready made mailboxes. Doesn,t look as nice though!

Wayne Boatwright

HorneTD wrote in
ink.net:

Oscar_Lives wrote:
[...]

If the damage is intentional from something like joy-riding and let's see
how many mailboxes we can knock down, then the *******s deserve whatever
they get. I'd just as soon see them lying dead in the road.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.

Nehmo Sergheyev

- Wayne Boatwright -
If the damage is intentional from something like joy-riding and let's

see
how many mailboxes we can knock down, then the *******s deserve

whatever
they get. I'd just as soon see them lying dead in the road.

- Nehmo -

Except that mail boxes are dumb, and they can't ascertain the intent of
the driver who runs into them. Nor can mail boxes determine the other
circumstances surrounding an accident - such as the number and age of
the vehicle's occupants. (Sometimes buses go off the road.)

Placing a stout mail box by the side of a road is socially negligent.
Going further and making a booby-trap mailbox is malicious.

--
*********************
* Nehmo Sergheyev *

Rob Sluys

Ok, this is getting to be much to involved of a thread. So let's figure
out how to settle this.. arbitration, if you will.

1) Nehmo wants a mailbox which is cute and cuddly and bounces
grandchildren on its knee.

2) Lots of other people want a mailbox which will be a one time install,
immune to the hooligans and eliminating the PITA labor of digging out
old concrete and pouring new.

Here you go, I did it at my mom's place after she lost a mailbox once a
year due to icy roads in Michigan. You build a hollow square tube with
an inside dimension to fit a 4x4. make it the same length as your post
will be buried deep. Sink the tube in the ground, top level with grade.
Use concrete if you like. Now you have a socket to put your post in.
If it breaks off you can easily slide the broken post out and drop in a
new one (a new 4x4 ain't gonna break the bank) (This solves issue #2).
If you're safety concious you can drill two holes perpendicular to the
road just above grade. I used a 1 1/4" bit if I remember correctly.
This will create a weak point where the post will break if slammed into.
(Happy Nehmo?) This has proved highly successful with a plastic
one-piece mailbox.. Mom loves it. In fact, sometimes she will actually
pull her mailbox out of the ground when expecting an ice storm, since
it's more likely it would get hit then. I even made her a little plug
out of scrap 4x4 and some plywood to keep the elements out of the empty
socket. Of course, once you do this, Murphy's Law says that your
mailbox will never be touched again.

Maybe this will actually help the OP..

~Rob

"Nehmo Sergheyev" wrote in