spamfree

Default 2 CAT5e lines in new houses?

I noticed that Toll Brothers now build new houses with 2 new
CAT5e lines as a standard. Why? Each CAT5e can support 4 pair
of phone lines.

I noticed that both jacks on the same outlet connect to the
same phone number in my friend's new house.

John Hines

spamfree wrote:

I noticed that Toll Brothers now build new houses with 2 new
CAT5e lines as a standard. Why? Each CAT5e can support 4 pair
of phone lines.

It is probably easier for the builder to stock one kind of cable, and
use it, for both phone and lan pre-wires.

I noticed that both jacks on the same outlet connect to the
same phone number in my friend's new house.

Cause there is only one phone line to the house, and people expect a
phone jack to work?
LFR

"spamfree" wrote in message
news
I noticed that Toll Brothers now build new houses with 2 new
CAT5e lines as a standard. Why? Each CAT5e can support 4 pair
of phone lines.

I noticed that both jacks on the same outlet connect to the
same phone number in my friend's new house.

Are you asking for help for a problem or just why the builder would run 2
cat5 lines?

spamfree

LFR wrote:
"spamfree" wrote in message
news
I noticed that Toll Brothers now build new houses with 2 new
CAT5e lines as a standard. Why? Each CAT5e can support 4 pair
of phone lines.

I noticed that both jacks on the same outlet connect to the
same phone number in my friend's new house.

Are you asking for help for a problem or just why the builder would run 2
cat5 lines?

I am just requesting information.

I am in the process of finishing a basement. I am putting two CAT5e
jacks on each outlet. Voice jack to 66 block, and data jack to the
router.

Now this Toll Brother setup was different. Both of their CAT5e jacks
on each outlet are voice, with the same phone number. I am just
wondering what is the advantage of the setup. If that provide some
extra functionality, I might copycat it.

Greg

Both of their CAT5e jacks
on each outlet are voice, with the same phone number. I am just
wondering what is the advantage of the setup. If that provide some
extra functionality, I might copycat it.

They were just saving the price of putting in the CAT 5 tombstones if the end
user was never going to have a LAN. It is easy to switch them out once the wire
is in the wall. Centex does the same thing but they put in the RJ45 on one of
them. These should all be home runs back to the utility/cable/phone entrance
area, usually in the garage so it is easy to install a hub, router or cable
modem. They should have also put in a 120v outlet there.
Oscar_Lives

"Jamie" wrote in message
They are probably not really the same phone number as such -- rather, the
installer probably just hooked ALL the Cat5 wires up to the same block.
When
you use two lines, you don't typically wire special "line 1" and "line 2"
jack - line 1 is the inner pair and line 2 is the outer pair. So if this
house had two phone lines, then they would both be available on any jack.
Also, it's possible they used one RJ45 and one RJ11 but just wired them
all
up to the phone block - if wired "correctly" (for a phone) then the RJ45
would also work, though it was likely intended for a network.

When doing your own house I'd definitely run two CAT 5's and also two coax
lines (for TV, and also good for digital audio). Wire is cheap... you'll
be
glad it's there a couple years from now.

Waste of time and money. Everything is going wireless.

Jamie

You think so? I would agree it's a waste if you are considering pulling
wires in existing construction, and wireless meets your needs. But for new
construction, the cost is minimal. 200 bucks worth of materials tops to do
an entire typical house. I would say it's very shortsighted to pass up the
opportunity to very inexpensively wire your house when the walls are open,
when it will cost you a hell of a lot more in the future if you ever need
it.

I have both wired and wireless networks in my house. The wireless is
currently inadequate for the following:

1) Streaming uncompressed audio and any decent quality video
2) Moving large files around between PCs
3) General reliability - it is subject to interference from other devices
which will only get worse as wireless becomes more pervasive. If you need a
solid connection -- e.g. for anything other than casual web browsing --
wireless does not cut it.
4) Coverage - in my house, with plaster walls, I can barely get a signal at
the other end of the house, and the basement is out completely. Sure, I
could put repeaters everywhere, but how is that better or cheaper than
putting in real wires for machines that don't move?

It's going to be a long time before you can get enough bandwidth on your
in-home wireless network to watch TV... so no question you need the cable
for that anyway. Likewise, i've never used a cordless telephone that sounds
as good as a wired one, so probably most people will still want phone jacks
around their house. I absolutely need hardwires for a streaming audio
device.. I tried it wireless and it was too flaky.

So in the end we're talking about one extra home run to each jack for
networking. You can buy 1000 feet of Cat 5 for less than 50 bucks. So why
gamble on a technology that is not currently consistently reliable, and may
become more problematic as more people are fighting over a narrow frequency
band? 802.11x has it's place to be sure - I love browsing the internet from
my laptop wherever I want to. But it's not for everything, and definitely
not a replacement for wires, yet.

"Oscar_Lives" wrote in message
Waste of time and money. Everything is going wireless.

Tony Hwang

LFR wrote:

"spamfree" wrote in message
news
I noticed that Toll Brothers now build new houses with 2 new
CAT5e lines as a standard. Why? Each CAT5e can support 4 pair
of phone lines.

I noticed that both jacks on the same outlet connect to the
same phone number in my friend's new house.

Are you asking for help for a problem or just why the builder would run 2
cat5 lines?

Hi,
Digitally one pair of wires can do lot of things. Multiple numbers, fax,
DSL modem hook up, etc.
Here local builders wire new houses for phone, data, audio, video,
security hook up throughout the house. I thought U.S.A. is high tech
country.
I am in Calgary Alberta. Even rural farmers have fiber optics based high
speed Internet access.
Tony
Tony Hwang

Jamie wrote:

[...]

Data network within house, how about audio, video, security hook ups?
No home theater? No intercom? Local builders put in everything to cover
current state of affairs including fiber optics(this is an extra option)
802-11a is latest now.
Tony

Michael Daly

On 20-Oct-2004, "Oscar_Lives" wrote:

Your farmers may have fiber optics, but our farmers have FIREARMS!

You've never been to Alberta, have you?

Mike
Oscar_Lives

"Michael Daly" wrote in message
news
On 20-Oct-2004, "Oscar_Lives" wrote:

Your farmers may have fiber optics, but our farmers have FIREARMS!

You've never been to Alberta, have you?

Mike

There's only two kinds of people in Alberta: Steers and Queers.

Which one are you, Boy?