Jamie

You think so? I would agree it's a waste if you are considering pulling
wires in existing construction, and wireless meets your needs. But for new
construction, the cost is minimal. 200 bucks worth of materials tops to do
an entire typical house. I would say it's very shortsighted to pass up the
opportunity to very inexpensively wire your house when the walls are open,
when it will cost you a hell of a lot more in the future if you ever need
it.

I have both wired and wireless networks in my house. The wireless is
currently inadequate for the following:

1) Streaming uncompressed audio and any decent quality video
2) Moving large files around between PCs
3) General reliability - it is subject to interference from other devices
which will only get worse as wireless becomes more pervasive. If you need a
solid connection -- e.g. for anything other than casual web browsing --
wireless does not cut it.
4) Coverage - in my house, with plaster walls, I can barely get a signal at
the other end of the house, and the basement is out completely. Sure, I
could put repeaters everywhere, but how is that better or cheaper than
putting in real wires for machines that don't move?

It's going to be a long time before you can get enough bandwidth on your
in-home wireless network to watch TV... so no question you need the cable
for that anyway. Likewise, i've never used a cordless telephone that sounds
as good as a wired one, so probably most people will still want phone jacks
around their house. I absolutely need hardwires for a streaming audio
device.. I tried it wireless and it was too flaky.

So in the end we're talking about one extra home run to each jack for
networking. You can buy 1000 feet of Cat 5 for less than 50 bucks. So why
gamble on a technology that is not currently consistently reliable, and may
become more problematic as more people are fighting over a narrow frequency
band? 802.11x has it's place to be sure - I love browsing the internet from
my laptop wherever I want to. But it's not for everything, and definitely
not a replacement for wires, yet.

"Oscar_Lives" wrote in message
Waste of time and money. Everything is going wireless.