Edwin Pawlowski

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

I just had to buy some
myself, and it is about $10 a foot, from a metal supply place.

Extremely expensive!!! It can be had for less than half that price. I've
not bought pipe in months but I paid that for 20". Steel has jumped
recently though.

Following up on my own post. $10 a foot is a good price today. It has been
going up over the summer. I just called my supplier and he expects it to be
upwards of $15 a foot soon. Some mills will not even quote a price until
time of shipment because it has been changing so fast.

SteveB

"Harold & Susan Vordos" wrote

Thanks for the explanation of "joint". Again, likely an oil field term,
certainly nothing ever used where I worked, but then we didn't specialize
in
pipe, either.

Harold

Unless, of course, you are referring to a joint of drill pipe. In that
case, they are random lengths, IIRC, from 39 to 44 feet each, and I don't
know why they are uneven lengths. I have sent many hundreds of miles of it
up to the drill floor through the V door.

Perhaps Turtle knows the answer to the why of the uneven lengths.....

Steve

Harold & Susan Vordos

"TURTLE" wrote in message
snip-------

This is Turtle

If you want it to shine Smooth finish and looks pretty you use the 300

series
and if you don't care about it looking pretty you use 404 industrial grade
Stainless Steel Pipe. 404 has a ruff finish and sometime off color in gray
looking colors. You usely will paint the 404 to make it look pretty in the

oil
industry. For the shinny smooth finish you pay dearly for it. years ago it

sold
for about $90.00 for a 20 foot joint of 3.5" Sch. 40. It must have went up

in
the last 15 years and could be up to $150.00 to $170.00 a 20 foot joint.

These
prices was for Oil field work and not for a hardware store to sell. If you
request the 300 series smooth and pretty this joint would run you maybe

$300.00
to $400.00. The oil Industry buys ruff ugly pipe and cheap and not shinny

and
pretty.

When you say a joint of pipe. The slang words for this is a joint of pipe

is any
length over 10 feet that you want to refer to it as talking about it.

All pipe like this is sold in 10 feet joints, 20 feet joints, and rolls of

half miles. 10 feet and half mile rolls are rare and most everything is

sold in
20 feet joints. The half mile rolls are used on pipe line laying from big

spools
off Catapillar skid and can lay a 1/2 mile of pipe before they have to

make a
weld. A bought the only way to transport it is by ships or railroad for

the
spool is about 30 feet high and 20 feet wide. It is also used a lot in the

Gulf
of Mexico where they can supply it to the pipe laying equipment and not

have a
transporting problem. Now I have been told they have longer spools for the

Gulf
work and can get 2 or 3 miles on spools to lay in the Gulf.

The public buys the 300 series and the industrial works buys the 400 and

600
series for their use. Also the Industrial people buy sometimes 50 to 100

miles
of pipe and they get discounts out of this world.

TURTLE

Hey Turtle!

Things in the oil industry must be far different from those in the
manufacturing industries. There are no 400 series pipe types listed
(Jorgensen stock list, 1988) which doesn't surprise me in the least. 400
series stainless is a straight chromium stainless (no nickel), unlike the
300 series. The 400 series is heat treatable, which could present
particular problems when (field) welded.

Pipe and tubing are available in 304, 316, 321 and 347 only, according to
Jorgensen.

I can't help but wonder if the 404 designation pertains to oil field jargon,
not to the alloy from which the pipe is made. Comments?

Thanks for the explanation of "joint". Again, likely an oil field term,
certainly nothing ever used where I worked, but then we didn't specialize in
pipe, either.

Harold

Gunner

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 21:10:04 -0700, "SteveB"
wrote:

"Harold & Susan Vordos" wrote

Thanks for the explanation of "joint". Again, likely an oil field term,
certainly nothing ever used where I worked, but then we didn't specialize
in
pipe, either.

Harold

Unless, of course, you are referring to a joint of drill pipe. In that
case, they are random lengths, IIRC, from 39 to 44 feet each, and I don't
know why they are uneven lengths. I have sent many hundreds of miles of it
up to the drill floor through the V door.

Perhaps Turtle knows the answer to the why of the uneven lengths.....

Steve

High kelly and a dull bit
Same old driller and the same old ****.

And I dont know why they come in random lengths either..though Ive
made enough trips to see several thousand miles of drill stem, and
measured every single last joint of it.

Gunner

"This phenomena occurs in many voting precincts, especially near
Chicago. Democrat voters are so loyal in some areas that they continue to vote for decades after their deaths. Since most of these deceased Democrats surely vote from Hell, this leads one to wonder about the accommodations made between the Democrat National Party and The Devil. Perhaps this is best reflected in the hook nosed, pointy eared, Herman Munster looking candidate the Democrats choose to run for President this year." Strider
TURTLE

"Harold & Susan Vordos" wrote in message

"TURTLE" wrote in message
[...]

This is Turtle.

The 404 stuff is a lot of times put together with what they call a Zapota Lock
joint. You don't weld it but a big machine will push one end into the other with
a socket joint in it and there is a ring that snaps into place. It take about
20,000 + pound of pressure to push the pipe into the other. When it comes to the
ring it will make a noise like a 22 rifle going off when it snaps into place.
this might what ytou say is the story to use this Zapota Locking joints .

Pipe and tubing are available in 304, 316, 321 and 347 only, according to
Jorgensen.

I can't help but wonder if the 404 designation pertains to oil field jargon,
not to the alloy from which the pipe is made. Comments?

I use to work in the oil field and everytime it had the 404 or the 606 on it. It
would say on the pipe : [ Inland Steel Pipe - SS-404 ] or 606. It may be their
code or rating of the pipes and valves. This 404 stuff was very good for Acid
plants where they flowed highly corrisive stuff through it. The Shell Oil
Refinery in Channel View , Texas used a lot of this stuff in their Battery Acid
refining section.

Thanks for the explanation of "joint". Again, likely an oil field term,
certainly nothing ever used where I worked, but then we didn't specialize in
pipe, either.

Harold

You got me wondering about the 404 business .

TURTLE

TURTLE

"SteveB" wrote in message

"Harold & Susan Vordos" wrote

Thanks for the explanation of "joint". Again, likely an oil field term,
certainly nothing ever used where I worked, but then we didn't specialize in
pipe, either.

Harold

Unless, of course, you are referring to a joint of drill pipe. In that case,
they are random lengths, IIRC, from 39 to 44 feet each, and I don't know why
they are uneven lengths. I have sent many hundreds of miles of it up to the
drill floor through the V door.

Perhaps Turtle knows the answer to the why of the uneven lengths.....

Steve

This is Turtle.

For the first 1 to 2 mile of drill pipe put in the hole you can use the 44 foot
joints. then after that you had to go to the 39 foot joints because of the main
rotor putting so much tork on the drill pipe. They had 1,000+ horse power D.C.
electric motor turning the rotor and they can twist it off if it hit a rock
formation or hard spot.

Any Man that has ever looked down through a V Door while working, you don't have
to tell him about hard work or how it is. Did you ever get use to that safety
belt tied on your ass ?

Are you still a member of the InternationBrother Hood of Oil Field Trash ? I
give up my membership about 15 years ago and I still is getting calls from the
Membership about a Cook up that is going on.

TURTLE

Harold & Susan Vordos

"TURTLE" wrote in message
[...]

Yep, me too! The 606, too. Neither of those terms show up in the stock
book. If you learn more, or I do, lets post it for those that have an
interest.

Be cool,

Harold

SteveB

"TURTLE" wrote in message

Are you still a member of the InternationBrother Hood of Oil Field Trash ?
I give up my membership about 15 years ago and I still is getting calls
from the Membership about a Cook up that is going on.

TURTLE

I got a couple of buckles, but never officially joined. I thought it was
just a loose informal brotherhood of oilfield workers who wanted a title.

They have cook outs?

Hmmmmmmmmmm

Steve

TURTLE

"SteveB" wrote in message

"TURTLE" wrote in message

Are you still a member of the InternationBrother Hood of Oil Field Trash ? I
give up my membership about 15 years ago and I still is getting calls from
the Membership about a Cook up that is going on.

TURTLE

I got a couple of buckles, but never officially joined. I thought it was just
a loose informal brotherhood of oilfield workers who wanted a title.

They have cook outs?

Hmmmmmmmmmm

Steve

This is Turtle.

Once a Oil field Trash --- Alway Oil Field Trash till you die. Most all Oil
field Trash turn into people like Jeff Foxworthy and start to make good money. A
lot of Jeff's thinking on jokes come from older oil field trash members.

TURTLE

TURTLE

"TURTLE" wrote in message
[...]

I will see about checking with some of my old Oil Field Trash workers from the
past about the 404 and the 606 stuff.

TURTLE

Harold & Susan Vordos

"TURTLE" wrote in message
snip----
This is Turtle.

I will see about checking with some of my old Oil Field Trash workers from

the
past about the 404 and the 606 stuff.

TURTLE

Cool! I have no further sources to check, so it's up to you, bud.

Harold