barry martin

Default Question on water in base

Matt:

JD I recently purchased an older home which has a basement made of rocks
JD and limestone in between them. Whenever it rains we get water flowing
JD down the sides of the rocks into the basement.... not a huge amount, but
JD enough to form a small pool in the one section of the basement.
JD What can I do to help prevent this from happening? As it is limestone
JD between the rocks I don't know that I have much in the way of sealing,
JD but I'm sure someone must have some solutions.. and I'm open to try
JD anything.

As others indicated, the best solution is to redirect the water from
the outside. Possibilities include regrading == ideally slope the
yard away from the house but if not possible a depression for the rain
water to run in 10 or so feet from the foundation. This depression
needs to have an exit -- you don't want the water pooling. French
drains are another possibility in conjuction with the depression.

If there is still some seepage try painting the walls with Dap (?) --
think that's the name. It's an almost-white thick liquid applied with
a paint brush. The local hardware store has a display of a cement
block, one half painted with the stuff and the other not. Water is
pumped into both hollows of the cement block; the unpainted side leaks
while the painted side is dry.

This stuff is not designed to seal holes so it may be necessary to do
some tuck pointing. It is also not designed to hold back large amounts
of water though it will do a pretty decent job. Also make certain the
surface is properly prepared: I've seen the coat have large water
bubbles.

Another possibility may be to jackhammer a section of the basement
floor to direct the seeping water into a trough along the walls to a
drain.

-
¯ barry.martinþATþthesafebbs.zeppole.com ®

* Infamous Quotes #18: "I drank WHAT??!!" -- Socrates.
---
þ RoseReader 2.52á P003186
þ The Safe BBS þ Bettendorf, IA 563-359-1971
---
þ RIMEGate(tm)/RGXMod V1.13 at BBSWORLD *

Heat banks (again!) Dave UK diy 148 September 6th 04 08:45 PM
Why do gas water heaters fail? I-zheet M'drurz Home Repair 40 January 12th 04 09:59 PM