Doug Mitchell

Default Water overflow...now what to do?

Dear Group,

With the faucet running I let the laundry tub on the main floor overflow. By
the time I caught the problem (I was home the time of the incident) water
had covered the laundry room floor, into the hall and partly into the dining
room. Of course with nowhere to go water then went through the floor into
the finished basement below . It is a terrible feeling.

In the basement below (drywall with popcorn ceiling) water was coming out of
the light fixture and water had run down the inside of the wall(s) and then
out about a foot onto the carpet.

Anyways I had towels everywhere. With the visible water on the mainfloor
absorbed I then immediately rented a heavy duty fan and large dehumidifier
for the basement. Both have now run for 24 hours.

The ceiling did not buckle and there is just one small water stain on the
ceiling. Visibly the drywall itself seems fine. The carpet is close to dry.

I need some advice.

I am concerned about *unseen* damage behind the drywall and in the popcorn
ceiling. Will running the fan and dehumidifier past the time the carpet is
dry help at all to dry *behind* walls and *in* the ceiling? If so when
should I turn them off?

I called insurance. An adjuster will come early next week. Is it a given
that one should tear out the affected walls and ceilings not because of
visible damage but because of possible mold (sp?).

Thanks for your experience.

--
Doug Mitchell )

Joseph Meehan

Doug Mitchell wrote:
[...]

When the dehumidifier is no longer removing a lot of water.

I called insurance. An adjuster will come early next week. Is it a given
that one should tear out the affected walls and ceilings not because of
visible damage but because of possible mold (sp?).

No, it is not a given. Getting wet once and being allowed to dry out in
a reasonable time should not cause a mold problem. Staying wet for a long
time is a cause for concern.

You did will and if he is any good, your insurance adjuster should give
you good advice and check for likely concealed damage.

If you like you could hire a home inspector to stop by before the
insurance man to have a second opinion.

Thanks for your experience.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Kyle Boatright

Excellent advise below. One wetting doesn't cause mold. That's caused by
long term humidity. One thing you can do in addition to the dehumidifier is
run the heat or air conditioning in your house, if the climate allows.
Either will help drop humidity inside your house.

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
Doug Mitchell wrote:
[...]

Doug Mitchell

I am starting to feel a bit better.

But how for example will insulation dry or be still of insulating value if
it has been wet inside a wall?

Doug

Doug Mitchell wrote:
[...]

Doug Mitchell

"Kyle Boatright" wrote in message
Excellent advise below. One wetting doesn't cause mold. That's caused by
long term humidity. One thing you can do in addition to the dehumidifier

is
run the heat or air conditioning in your house, if the climate allows.
Either will help drop humidity inside your house.

I just went and turned on the furnace.

Joseph Meehan

Doug Mitchell wrote:
I am starting to feel a bit better.

But how for example will insulation dry or be still of insulating value if
it has been wet inside a wall?

Most insulation will be fine, in time. It will take a while to dry. I
actually doubt if you have much in the insulation in a wall.

Doug

Doug Mitchell wrote:
[...]

Ken G.

Doug Mitchell wrote:
I am starting to feel a bit better.

But how for example will insulation dry or be still of insulating value if
it has been wet inside a wall?

How about cutting out the drywall at the top 12" of the wall, or at
least where you think the most water was. Then you get a good assessment
of the damage, and can leave it off for a week or two.

Then you may only need to buy one new sheet, cut into 12" strips. Easy
to put up, get a Time/Life Do-It-Yerself book for all the details.

Ken

Dan

On Sat, 9 Oct 2004 19:20:55 -0400, "Doug Mitchell"
wrote:

I am starting to feel a bit better.

But how for example will insulation dry or be still of insulating value if
it has been wet inside a wall?

Doug

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
.. .
Doug Mitchell wrote:
[...]

The insulation will dry out over time. You did well and responded
quickly. Paint the ceiling stain with pigmented shellac before
repainting and you should be fine. You can get Kilz in spray cans to
prime water stains. If you paint it with latex without the shellac or
Kilz the stain will bleed through. All this mold foolishness is much
overstated, don't panic about it.