Erma1ina

Default Mystery Holes in Basement Floor

Alan Smithee wrote:

A house that I'm thinking of buying has a number (20 or more) of what appear
to be 2" in diameter holes drilled in various locations or the basement (800
sq. ft) and then recemented. Someone took the time to mark them sequentially
with numbers ("X13", "X16", "X20" etc.) The only thing I can think is that
someone was either testing for something or possibly trying to level the
floor. The floor does show some minor to moderate signs of heaving, maybe an
inch out of true in the worst spot. Any idea what these holes would have be
used for? The current owner hasn't a clue either. Thx.

Termite treatment?
Alan Smithee

"Erma1ina" wrote in message
Alan Smithee wrote:

A house that I'm thinking of buying has a number (20 or more) of what

appear
to be 2" in diameter holes drilled in various locations or the basement

(800
sq. ft) and then recemented. Someone took the time to mark them

sequentially
with numbers ("X13", "X16", "X20" etc.) The only thing I can think is

that
someone was either testing for something or possibly trying to level the
floor. The floor does show some minor to moderate signs of heaving,

maybe an
inch out of true in the worst spot. Any idea what these holes would have

be
used for? The current owner hasn't a clue either. Thx.

Termite treatment?

Nope not a termite area. It's a modern house with tons of concrete.

Alan Smithee

Hi,
Mud jacking?
Tony

That's what I was thinking. But I've never seen it done to a basement floor.

Abe

On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 06:01:04 GMT, "Alan Smithee"
wrote:

Hi,
Mud jacking?
Tony

That's what I was thinking. But I've never seen it done to a basement floor.

-------------------
Not that common, but it is done in circumstances where the ground
under the slab has been undermined or subsided.

Mark and Kim Smith

Alan Smithee wrote:

A house that I'm thinking of buying has a number (20 or more) of what appear
to be 2" in diameter holes drilled in various locations or the basement (800
sq. ft) and then recemented. Someone took the time to mark them sequentially
with numbers ("X13", "X16", "X20" etc.) The only thing I can think is that
someone was either testing for something or possibly trying to level the
floor. The floor does show some minor to moderate signs of heaving, maybe an
inch out of true in the worst spot. Any idea what these holes would have be
used for? The current owner hasn't a clue either. Thx.

Don't you guys watch horror movies?? Don't remove the cement plugs no
matter how curious you get. OR you'll be sorry!

bumtracks

maybe its the sort of 'X' marks the spot
could be riches under them spots
could be ashes of x-wives

I watched them pump concrete under a neighbors two car concrete pad
driveway/carport - this whole area was parceled into a subdivision and the
guy that cleared all the palmetto's and pine trees would dig holes about
every hundred yards and bury the foliage... which over timed
rotted/condensed and many homeowners driveways and yards have slowly
developed deep wavy, wash board style sink holes. Anyhow - The neighbors
carport slab was cored about two inches dia hole in several spots and they
pumped concrete under it to lift it back to flat, mainly to fix the forever
shifting/tilting/sinking roof.(for a few more yrs)

Tony Hwang

Alan Smithee wrote:
Hi,
Mud jacking?
Tony

That's what I was thinking. But I've never seen it done to a basement floor.

Hi,
Basement floor is sort of floating concrete pad. They are not attached
to the walls. It can rise and sink. Maybe it was sinking unevenly?
Mud jacking will raise it up or prevent further sinking. I had it done
once on my back yard patio pad. Just a guess though.
Tony
willshak

Tony Hwang wrote:

Alan Smithee wrote:

Hi,
Mud jacking?
Tony

That's what I was thinking. But I've never seen it done to a basement
floor.

Hi,
Basement floor is sort of floating concrete pad. They are not attached
to the walls. It can rise and sink. Maybe it was sinking unevenly?
Mud jacking will raise it up or prevent further sinking. I had it done
once on my back yard patio pad. Just a guess though.
Tony

If they are poured correctly, the concrete is poured so that at least
part of it lies over the footings, therefore it may rise, but it will
not sink unless it takes the footings with it, or it cracks and sinks
inside of the footings.

Tony Hwang

willshak wrote:

Tony Hwang wrote:

Alan Smithee wrote:

Hi,
Mud jacking?
Tony

That's what I was thinking. But I've never seen it done to a basement
floor.

Hi,
Basement floor is sort of floating concrete pad. They are not attached
to the walls. It can rise and sink. Maybe it was sinking unevenly?
Mud jacking will raise it up or prevent further sinking. I had it done
once on my back yard patio pad. Just a guess though.
Tony

If they are poured correctly, the concrete is poured so that at least
part of it lies over the footings, therefore it may rise, but it will
not sink unless it takes the footings with it, or it cracks and sinks
inside of the footings.

Hi,
Yes, still it can buckle or warp up or down.
If I were the OP'er, I'd pass up that house.
I never lived in second hand house. Always had my own built
from my own design with my own spec.
Tony
Jon Bergstrom

Test wells for something nasty!
Give the house a pass...
Jon

On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 23:04:58 GMT, Tony Hwang wrote:

Alan Smithee wrote:
Hi,
Mud jacking?
Tony

That's what I was thinking. But I've never seen it done to a basement floor.

Hi,
Basement floor is sort of floating concrete pad. They are not attached
to the walls. It can rise and sink. Maybe it was sinking unevenly?
Mud jacking will raise it up or prevent further sinking. I had it done
once on my back yard patio pad. Just a guess though.
Tony

Anything being cooked a second time needs a hot oven.
Abe

I never lived in second hand house. Always had my own built
from my own design with my own spec.
Tony

------------------
Boy, what a tough life ;-)

I never lived in second hand house. Always had my own built
from my own design with my own spec.

So you believe in building and owning a new home only?

May I ask why?

Im serious abt the question not being smart ass

Thanks in advance!
I-zheet M'drurz

Tony Hwang wrote:

I never lived in second hand house. Always had my own built
from my own design with my own spec.

"second hand house"?. ???.

What an incredibly pompous ass way of putting that.

--
The real Tom Pendergast [ So if you meet me, have some courtesy,
aka I-zheet M'drurz [ have some sympathy, and some taste.

Daniel Prince

Tony Hwang wrote:

Mud jacking will raise it up or prevent further sinking. I had it done
once on my back yard patio pad.

About how much did it cost to mud jack your patio and how big is your
patio? My back porch is low compared to the grass and parts of it slope
towards the house. Thank you in advance for all replies.

in a circle until he gets too dizzy to stand up. What is cruel about
it is that I don't do it nearly as much as he wants me to.