Charles Bishop

Default Molding

I need molding that looks like the old fashioned plaster molding used to
"picture frame" walls. That's the best I know how to describe it. It would
be half round, detailed, and was used to make a plain wall more
interesting.
Something like this

_______________
/ \
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
\_________________/

Ideally it would be foam of some sort, rather than plaster.

Anyone know of a source?

charles
Joseph Meehan

Charles Bishop wrote:
[...]

Most any Lumber Yard or DIY store should have stuff along that line. It
comes in wood and foam.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Charles Bishop

In article , "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:

Charles Bishop wrote:
[...]

I think I didn't explain my attempt at drawing-it's supposed to be the
outline of the finished "picture frame" where the lines are the molding
forming a picture frame, not the outline of the molding itself. The
corners are actually curved, rather than the straight lines I show. The
molding itself is very ornate with vines on it.

I did some Googling after I posted here and there are on line sources.
It's called panel molding and does come in plaster and polyurethane, but I
can't find anything that looks similar, especially the corners.

charles
willshak

Charles Bishop wrote:

In article , "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:

Charles Bishop wrote:

[...]

Lowes and Home Depot sell that type of molding. they even have the
semi-circular corner pieces (look like someone took a bite out of the
corners).
Joseph Meehan

Charles Bishop wrote:
In article , "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:

Charles Bishop wrote:
[...]

There any many many verities made. I am guessing you are trying to
match something. That is going to be a problem. Some places will make it
up for you, but then you will need to pay the price for custom work..

Good Luck

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Martin

"Charles Bishop" wrote in message
In article , "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:

Charles Bishop wrote:
[...]

You are probably working with somewhat larger molding, but I've repaired
large antique picture frames, 3'x5', with 4" wide molding, corners and
straight sections, by making a molds of a good section, casting the piece in
plaster and gluing it in. There are flexible latex and vinyl compounds
available from art supply stores for this use. Matching the finish was the
hard part.

Charles Bishop

In article , "Martin"
wrote:

Charles Bishop wrote:
[...]

More details-there is panel molding on the wall in a lobby. There is also
a section of wall that doesn't have the panel molding on it, and the
owners want to add some. It doesn't have to be the same, since I'll never
be able to find a match, but should be similar. Googling led me to
suppliers (one in Ireland!, when I spelled it "mouldilng"), and some might
be ok, but I'm looking still for a closer match.

Do you think it would be possible to make a latex mold of the (E) wall
molding, on the wall, and use that to cast new pieces?

Thanks for the suggestions.

charles
default

More details-there is panel molding on the wall in a lobby. There is also
a section of wall that doesn't have the panel molding on it, and the
owners want to add some. It doesn't have to be the same, since I'll never
be able to find a match, but should be similar. Googling led me to
suppliers (one in Ireland!, when I spelled it "mouldilng"), and some might
be ok, but I'm looking still for a closer match.

Do you think it would be possible to make a latex mold of the (E) wall
molding, on the wall, and use that to cast new pieces?

Yes.
Build a trough, plug the ends with foam, fill it with latex-moldmaking compound,
and brace the whole thing against the wall until it sets. (does latex need a
parting
powder to keep it from sticking to/staining the wall? It probably depends on how
porous the plaster is.)

Another option if you've got decent woodworkers and toolmaker available to
you is to take a profile using whatever that tool is that looks sort of like a
comb with touching teeth, and use that to make either a router bit or a
blade for a molding plane. Since you appear to be talking about curved
sections of molding, the router bit would probably be easier.