I & H

Default can I paint vinyl?

I just rescued an old changing table (used in the 60s). It has a tubular
metal frame and four wicker baskets that swing open. The attached top opens
out to a padded vinyl mat which is in good condition, but has some permanent
stains and is kind of ugly, white with brown flowers and swirls. I'm
repainting the baskets white since they've yellowed with age but the vinyl
top and mat are encased in a hinged metal frame and I'm not sure I can
easily take it apart to recover it. Do you think I can paint the vinyl? And
if so, with what (latex, oil, spray enamel?). Any advice welcome. Thanks.
-Holly

Edwin Pawlowski

"I & H" wrote in message
ink.net...
. I'm
repainting the baskets white since they've yellowed with age but the vinyl
top and mat are encased in a hinged metal frame and I'm not sure I can
easily take it apart to recover it. Do you think I can paint the vinyl?
And
if so, with what (latex, oil, spray enamel?). Any advice welcome. Thanks.
-Holly

The mat is best recovered with new material. Yes, vinyl can be painted, but
a mat will flex too much to hold paint.

Solid parts can be painted with Krylon Fusion

Minnie Bannister

Krylon (and Rustoleum also, I think) now makes spray cans of paint
specifically for plastic, but I don't know how flexible it would be.

MB

On 09/11/04 05:28 pm I & H put fingers to keyboard and launched the
following message into cyberspace:

I just rescued an old changing table (used in the 60s). It has a tubular
metal frame and four wicker baskets that swing open. The attached top opens
out to a padded vinyl mat which is in good condition, but has some permanent
stains and is kind of ugly, white with brown flowers and swirls. I'm
repainting the baskets white since they've yellowed with age but the vinyl
top and mat are encased in a hinged metal frame and I'm not sure I can
easily take it apart to recover it. Do you think I can paint the vinyl? And
if so, with what (latex, oil, spray enamel?). Any advice welcome. Thanks.

willshak

I & H wrote:

I just rescued an old changing table (used in the 60s). It has a tubular
metal frame and four wicker baskets that swing open. The attached top opens
out to a padded vinyl mat which is in good condition, but has some permanent
stains and is kind of ugly, white with brown flowers and swirls. I'm
repainting the baskets white since they've yellowed with age but the vinyl
top and mat are encased in a hinged metal frame and I'm not sure I can
easily take it apart to recover it. Do you think I can paint the vinyl? And
if so, with what (latex, oil, spray enamel?). Any advice welcome. Thanks.
-Holly

Plastikote makes a soft vinyl paint. I used it back in the late 70's to
paint the vinyl interior of my car, including the seats. It worked
pretty good. Don't forget, the current vinyl is the same color all the
way through. The paint will just cover the top and any scratches or wear
will show the old color underneath.
http://www.plastikote.com/plastikote...uct=UltraVinyl