Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cheap wi-fi camera

I have a problem with pre teen hooligans down the road.

Need to catch them in the act.
Don't want expensive stuff as it could get stolen.

What's a cheap wifi cam that might go a hundred fifty feet or so?
Any experience?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, May 9, 2021 at 9:30:35 AM UTC-5, John Doe wrote:

What's a cheap wifi cam that might go a hundred fifty feet or so?

That is a really vague question. I don't know if you mean 150ft for the wifi or for the lens. I don't think either one is likely. Certainly it depends on your definition of "cheap" and your expectations. For a discussion with experienced people you might check out https://ipcamtalk.com/forums/
Posted to alt.home.repair

Davej wrote:

That is a really vague question.

Sorry. I'm not an expert.

I don't know if you mean 150ft for the wifi or for the lens.

The WiFi although I could wire it and it would be 0 feet then.
I just assumed most such cameras are wifi cameras nowadays.

I don't think either one is likely.

Well, 150 feet isn't at all hard to beam from a house but the camera has to
beam it back which is the harder part given that may increase camera cost.

But I can go wired too if 150 feet is too much for a basic wifi camera.

Certainly it depends on your definition of "cheap" and your expectations.

Less than fifty bucks.
Not Internet enabled (just the local 192 subnet).

I only need to store moving events on a computer.
Night time is optional (IR LEDs).

For a discussion with experienced people you might check out
https://ipcamtalk.com/forums/

I'll ask there if nobody has a wifi camera here.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I'll ask there if nobody has a wifi camera here.

I don't have a wifi, but I do have a $50 game camera. It does what you want, and it isn't a total disaster if it get stolen. The downside is I have to physically take the chip out. Picture quality in daylight is surprisingly good, at night with the IR it's a little grainy.

If I hadn't had it, i would never have caught four raccoons having a party on my deck. My dog didn't even alert. And we're in the middle of town.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/10/2021 6:58 PM, John Doe wrote:
Davej wrote:

That is a really vague question.

Sorry. I'm not an expert.

I don't know if you mean 150ft for the wifi or for the lens.

The WiFi although I could wire it and it would be 0 feet then.
I just assumed most such cameras are wifi cameras nowadays.

I don't think either one is likely.

Well, 150 feet isn't at all hard to beam from a house but the camera has to
beam it back which is the harder part given that may increase camera cost.

But I can go wired too if 150 feet is too much for a basic wifi camera.

Certainly it depends on your definition of "cheap" and your expectations.

My son has a Blink camera from Amazon. Does a pretty good job and had
clear video. I think it is in the $80 to $90 range.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 10 May 2021 22:58:58 -0000 (UTC), John Doe
wrote:

Davej wrote:

[...]

If yopu have the option for wired, go wired. wireless has too many
chances for interference. Real wifi not as bad as "wireless" but wired
is better = particularly with POE supplying power for the camera and
IR LEDs