Posted to alt.home.repair

Default end of my gutter has popped off, how to repair?

I noticed the end of my gutter in the yard after mowing the lawn
recently. How do I reattach to the gutter? Thanks in advance!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/7/2021 10:13 AM, James Wobanwu wrote:
I noticed the end of my gutter in the yard after mowing the lawn
recently.Â* How do I reattach to the gutter?Â* Thanks in advance!

You can use a screw or silicone adhesive. Not much pressure on it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/7/21 10:43 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 4/7/2021 10:13 AM, James Wobanwu wrote:
I noticed the end of my gutter in the yard after mowing the lawn
recently.Â* How do I reattach to the gutter?Â* Thanks in advance!

You can use a screw or silicone adhesive.Â* Not much pressure on it.

Is there a recommendation for the type of adhesive? I was looking at
one of my other ends and it looks like it's held by both sheet metal
screws and adhesive.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/7/2021 10:45 AM, James Wobanwu wrote:
On 4/7/21 10:43 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 4/7/2021 10:13 AM, James Wobanwu wrote:
I noticed the end of my gutter in the yard after mowing the lawn
recently.Â* How do I reattach to the gutter?Â* Thanks in advance!

You can use a screw or silicone adhesive.Â* Not much pressure on it.

Is there a recommendation for the type of adhesive?Â* I was looking at
one of my other ends and it looks like it's held by both sheet metal
screws and adhesive.

If there is an existing hole, take it with you to the hardware store and
get the proper size screw. There are also many adhesives that will work
like the silicone used for bathtub caulk. I don't know a specific brand
but most any will work.
Posted to alt.home.repair

James Wobanwu writes:
On 4/7/21 10:43 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 4/7/2021 10:13 AM, James Wobanwu wrote:
I noticed the end of my gutter in the yard after mowing the lawn=20
recently.=C2=A0 How do I reattach to the gutter?=C2=A0 Thanks in advan=

ce!
=20
You can use a screw or silicone adhesive.=C2=A0 Not much pressure on it=

=2E

Is there a recommendation for the type of adhesive? I was looking at=20
one of my other ends and it looks like it's held by both sheet metal=20
screws and adhesive.

That's most likely a sealant, not an adhesive (although many sealants
can be used as an adhesive).

Get some silcone caulk.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski writes:
On 4/7/2021 10:45 AM, James Wobanwu wrote:
On 4/7/21 10:43 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 4/7/2021 10:13 AM, James Wobanwu wrote:
I noticed the end of my gutter in the yard after mowing the lawn
recently.Â* How do I reattach to the gutter?Â* Thanks in advance!

You can use a screw or silicone adhesive.Â* Not much pressure on it.

Is there a recommendation for the type of adhesive?Â* I was looking at
one of my other ends and it looks like it's held by both sheet metal
screws and adhesive.

If there is an existing hole, take it with you to the hardware store and
get the proper size screw. There are also many adhesives that will work
like the silicone used for bathtub caulk. I don't know a specific brand
but most any will work.

Make sure it doesn't degrade under UV light; find a good outdoor caulk
or roofing sealant.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/7/2021 10:45 AM, James Wobanwu wrote:
On 4/7/21 10:43 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 4/7/2021 10:13 AM, James Wobanwu wrote:
I noticed the end of my gutter in the yard after mowing the lawn
recently.Â* How do I reattach to the gutter?Â* Thanks in advance!

You can use a screw or silicone adhesive.Â* Not much pressure on it.

Is there a recommendation for the type of adhesive?Â* I was looking at
one of my other ends and it looks like it's held by both sheet metal
screws and adhesive.

Just get the type screws it already has. I note that on my old gutters
they wemt through both sides and screw head shows but my new gutters
have attachments where screw is only visible from inside top of gutter.
Adhesives are not use for attachment but maybe to seal from leaks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, April 7, 2021 at 2:03:23 PM UTC-4, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Wed, 07 Apr 2021 15:30:35 GMT, (Scott Lurndal)
wrote:
James Wobanwu writes:
On 4/7/21 10:43 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 4/7/2021 10:13 AM, James Wobanwu wrote:
I noticed the end of my gutter in the yard after mowing the lawn=20
recently.=C2=A0 How do I reattach to the gutter?=C2=A0 Thanks in advan=
ce!
=20
You can use a screw or silicone adhesive.=C2=A0 Not much pressure on it=
=2E

Is there a recommendation for the type of adhesive? I was looking at=20
one of my other ends and it looks like it's held by both sheet metal=20
screws and adhesive.

That's most likely a sealant, not an adhesive (although many sealants
can be used as an adhesive).

Get some silcone caulk.

Generally they are "crimped" on and sealed with sealant. Sometimes
"pop" rivetted as well. That's what "I" would do, being I have a LOT
of small rivets left over from various projects - mostly "plane shaped
objects" built by friends.

Mine have screws, sheet metal self tappers, but if one comes out I do a pop rivet.

A pop rivet is fewer trips up and down the ladder for obvious reasons.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
James Wobanwu writes:
[...]

That's how mine are done. To repair, if you have the tools and it was riveted
I'd do that. No tools and it was riveted you can use sheet metal screws.
Just crimped on, then just use silicone sealant, which needs to be applied
anyway to make it water tight.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, April 8, 2021 at 9:46:08 AM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:
That's how mine are done. To repair, if you have the tools and it was riveted
I'd do that. No tools and it was riveted you can use sheet metal screws.
Just crimped on, then just use silicone sealant, which needs to be applied
anyway to make it water tight.

I can't remember why I bought my pop riveter (blind riveter.) I haven't used it that often but it does come in handy once in a while.

There is one huge advantage over sheet metal screws. You put the pin in the riveter, climb the ladder, insert and squeeze, and you're done.

With a sheet metal self tapper, you climb the ladder with a screwdriver and the screw, fiddle around getting it lined up and the screwdriver tip on it, start to turn and it squirts out and falls in the bushes. So you go back down the ladder, look for ten minutes, give up and get a new screw. This time you'll be more careful. Maybe.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/8/2021 1:15 PM, TimR wrote:
[...]

I've pop riveted fallen downspouts with it but still had to drill holes
for the rivets. It is easier than self tapping screws.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/8/2021 6:20 PM, Frank wrote:
On 4/8/2021 1:15 PM, TimR wrote:
On Thursday, April 8, 2021 at 9:46:08 AM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:
That's how mine are done. To repair, if you have the tools and it was
riveted
I'd do that. No tools and it was riveted you can use sheet metal screws.
Just crimped on, then just use silicone sealant, which needs to be
applied
anyway to make it water tight.

I can't remember why I bought my pop riveter (blind riveter.)Â* I
haven't used it that often but it does come in handy once in a while.

There is one huge advantage over sheet metal screws.Â* You put the pin
in the riveter, climb the ladder, insert and squeeze, and you're done.

With a sheet metal self tapper, you climb the ladder with a
screwdriver and the screw, fiddle around getting it lined up and the
screwdriver tip on it, start to turn and it squirts out and falls in
the bushes.Â* So you go back down the ladder, look for ten minutes,
give up and get a new screw.Â* This time you'll be more careful.Â* Maybe.

I've pop riveted fallen downspouts with it but still had to drill holes
for the rivets.Â* It is easier than self tapping screws.

Sure, but if someone is asking here how to repaid a downspout, they
probably do not have a pop rivet gun.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 8 Apr 2021 10:15:35 -0700 (PDT), TimR
wrote:

On Thursday, April 8, 2021 at 9:46:08 AM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:
That's how mine are done. To repair, if you have the tools and it was riveted
I'd do that. No tools and it was riveted you can use sheet metal screws.
Just crimped on, then just use silicone sealant, which needs to be applied
anyway to make it water tight.

I can't remember why I bought my pop riveter (blind riveter.) I haven't used it that often but it does come in handy once in a while.

There is one huge advantage over sheet metal screws. You put the pin in the riveter, climb the ladder, insert and squeeze, and you're done.

With a sheet metal self tapper, you climb the ladder with a screwdriver and the screw, fiddle around getting it lined up
and the screwdriver tip on it, start to turn and it squirts out and falls in the bushes.

And as it falls, you reach for it, you lunge for it, and you fall off
the ladder. From now on you have to pay someone to go up the ladder
for you.

So you go back down the ladder, look for ten minutes, give up and get a new screw. This time you'll be more careful. Maybe.

This evening I wore my slippers outside of the house and caught them on
the only step leading into my front door, becaue they're longer than my
shoes. Fell on my knees and face. It's a dangerous world.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, April 8, 2021 at 1:15:39 PM UTC-4, TimR wrote:
[...]

Why would you take only one screw up the ladder with you? Take a pocketful.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/9/21 5:13 AM, wrote:
[...]

You really don't need a whole pocketful. A spare or two would suffice.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/9/21 12:54 AM, micky wrote:
This evening I wore my slippers outside of the house and caught them on
the only step leading into my front door, becaue they're longer than my
shoes. Fell on my knees and face. It's a dangerous world.

The same thing happened to Biden going up the airstairs.