Axinar

Default A/C for high humidity / lower temperatures situation

Hi there ...

Say ... just bought a condo not too long ago in a kind of bizarre area

It's in the back of the building near a pretty decent sized thatch of
trees.

It stays cool back there. If you turn everything off and just let it
sit, it hardly gets to 80 when it is in the mid '90's outside.

Problem ... when it is in the high '70's or low '80's and a billion
percent humidity (as it often is here), the compressor simply doesn't
run enough to pull out much water.

Already checked that it has the smallest unit available (1.5 ton).

Question ... I have been doing some reading that there are units now
that have variable speed fans and humidity sensing thermostats in the
like.

Question ... do they come that small and ...

Two ... has anyone here had any luck with such a thing?

Thanks!

Ax
SQLit

"Axinar" wrote in message
m...
[...]

I would go to the local dehumidifier store and purchase one. Then run it in
conjunction with the a/c.
Unless of course your just set on spending a bunch of money.

You might check your air handler fan and see if it is set on high, then
lower it to medium.
The compressor will run longer, and take out more humidity.
Have you had the unit checked recently? Non dehumidification can be a sign
of other problems.

---

Axinar

"SQLit" wrote in message news:6%30d.176345$Lj.18618@fed1read03...

I would go to the local dehumidifier store and purchase one. Then run it in
conjunction with the a/c.
Unless of course your just set on spending a bunch of money.

Yes ... I got a dehuidifier ... does a bang up job ... only one
problem is that I don't have the space (or the outlets) to set the
thing up in a place where I can drain it ... meaning I have to
manually empty the bucket once or twice a day and kill my poor back.
So I was hoping to find a more permanent solution.

You might check your air handler fan and see if it is set on high, then
lower it to medium.
The compressor will run longer, and take out more humidity.
Have you had the unit checked recently? Non dehumidification can be a sign
of other problems.

Yes ... unfortunately I have only one blower speed on this unit ...
was hoping to see if someone out there maybe is in similar conditions
.... back in the woods maybe where it stays really cool but really damp
and has moved to a two-speed unit and had some luck.

Yep ... have had the unit checked out ... it is clean and has 20
degrees of drop, so it appears to be working the way it was designed.

It only runs on maybe a 40 percent duty cycle though around 80 degrees
so the moisture just builds up and builds up.

Ax
Edwin Pawlowski

"Axinar" wrote in message

Yes ... unfortunately I have only one blower speed on this unit ...
was hoping to see if someone out there maybe is in similar conditions
... back in the woods maybe where it stays really cool but really damp
and has moved to a two-speed unit and had some luck.

It only runs on maybe a 40 percent duty cycle though around 80 degrees
so the moisture just builds up and builds up.

Ax

Too late now, but a smaller unit may do a better job as it would run longer.

Many years ago, in an industrial application in a printing plant, humidity
control was more important than air temperature. This company would run the
heat on damp cool days to force the AC to run and take out humidity. Works,
but is expensive.

Bennett Price

Axinar wrote:
[...]

Perhaps you can change the pulleys on the air handler to slow it down.

source of humidity j j Home Repair 2 December 10th 03 03:56 PM
Home humidity - increasing after remediation? Scott Stewart Home Repair 8 July 29th 03 09:54 PM
Storing wood - inside humidity vs. outside humidity. Brian Phillips Woodworking 2 July 22nd 03 02:20 PM
Why is AC running in the morning when it's cooler outdoors? LuckyDucky Home Repair 18 July 17th 03 02:24 PM