Posted to alt.home.repair

Default for the birds

Showing results for is it true that only female birds whistle

In temperate regions like North America and Europe, where the bulk of
western ornithology takes place, many female birds do not sing. Instead,
it is the migrating male birds who show up and strike up a tune to stake
out a spring and summer territory. And, of course, they serenade females
with the goal of mating.Mar 14, 2018
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 14 Mar 2021 12:25:54 -0400, Frank posted for all of us to digest...

Showing results for is it true that only female birds whistle

In temperate regions like North America and Europe, where the bulk of
western ornithology takes place, many female birds do not sing. Instead,
it is the migrating male birds who show up and strike up a tune to stake
out a spring and summer territory. And, of course, they serenade females
with the goal of mating.Mar 14, 2018

Cock-robin I just couldn't resist.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 14 Mar 2021 12:25:54 -0400, Frank posted for all of us to digest...

Showing results for is it true that only female birds whistle

In temperate regions like North America and Europe, where the bulk of
western ornithology takes place, many female birds do not sing. Instead,
it is the migrating male birds who show up and strike up a tune to stake
out a spring and summer territory. And, of course, they serenade females
with the goal of mating.Mar 14, 2018

Cock-robin I just couldn't resist.

--
Tekkie

you should get a lot of mileage out of another bird, the woodcock

some of the alternate and regional names are hilarious

one of the problems I had in getting the birds interested was difficulty in finding an appropriate feeder

the most popular kinds are not useful because I do not have the ability to hang one. I bought a really nice one but the clamp was too small for the size and shape of the railing.

I tried an s chain on the railing and that worked but the feeder did not remain under the overhang so the feed got wet and moldy after rain

I eventually solved it by old fashioned jury rigging, using a tupperware container and some wire to fashion a platform feeder

old tech is the best tech

mk5000

Tell me not of joy: there's none
Now my little sparrow's gone;
He, just as you,
Would toy and woo,
He would chirp and flatter me,
He would hang the wing awhile,
Till at length he saw me smile,
Lord! how sullen he would be!
William Cartwright, Lesbia and the Sparrow; reported in Hoyt's New Cyclopedia Of Practical Quotations (1922), p. 740.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/16/2021 3:38 PM, marika wrote:
[...]

Our birds' favorite feeder is one I made from recycled wood and
plexiglass . At any given time we can expect to see many species ,
including but not limited to cardinals , titmice , chickadees , doves ,
in season dark eyed juncos (AKA snowbirds) , red belly woodpeckers ,
white throated sparrows , blue jays , and Carolina wrens . Today we saw
some house finches , but I think they were headed for points north . In
the next few weeks we'll also be seeing rose breasted grosbeaks ,
they've made our place an annual stop . And if we're lucky the orioles
will stop by this year , they skipped last year . We consider ourselves
lucky to live in a place with such a diversity of species ...
--
Snag
In 1775, the British demanded we give them our guns.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 16 Mar 2021 16:00:47 -0400, Tekkie©
wrote:

On Sun, 14 Mar 2021 12:25:54 -0400, Frank posted for all of us to digest...

Happiness is a bitch with a cock in her mouth

http://gfretwell.com/ftp/Bitch%20wit...er%20mouth.jpg

Showing results for is it true that only female birds whistle

In temperate regions like North America and Europe, where the bulk of
western ornithology takes place, many female birds do not sing. Instead,
it is the migrating male birds who show up and strike up a tune to stake
out a spring and summer territory. And, of course, they serenade females
with the goal of mating.Mar 14, 2018

Cock-robin I just couldn't resist.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, March 16, 2021 at 5:56:39 PM UTC-5, Snag wrote:
[...]

My dad built a series of feeders that were clever and squirrel proof. One for suet, and the other for peanuts.

I do not think you will ever find similar ones in a sore.

your list very much compares to what we had in our yard in Pennsylvania, but we had at least three different kinds of woodpeckers. As annoying as starlings may seem to others, I just loved them, they are like a clown posse. We had lots of robins. My favorite one used to come begging for grapes. He was more upright than the other birds, so I imagined he had a tophat and cane, like the monopoly board character. One of the prettier ones was the red winged blackbird. Looked like a flame streaking across the sky. But when he opened his beak, he was unable to do better than a cute little cheep. Destroyed the whole look

But my absolute favorite were the catbirds. everyone of them had a different personality. I think I had about 15 last year

I am not entirely sure who we have down here except I have not heard starlings so I know we do not have any

I have seen huge swarms of cedar wax wings. those moved on after they picked off all the holly

I see mocking birds on my walks and they have visited my balcony to get suet.

I have seen a martin or two. but they do not come to feeders

There are a number of finch varieties, including beautiful purple ones

I have had a number of doves. That is one you can hear even if you do not see them

as I said my neighbor downstairs and to the left said they love watching-my birds, and I see some of them from my window.

He claims he saw a robin.

as I noted earlier there has been a huge burst of black bees and stripey ones around my porch

The neighbor imagined that the bird feed was drawing them

I have nothing that would draw them, they are probably carpenters

Then again, he asked me if the bees would eat his parsley leaves. By default it becomes apparent he knows nothing about bees if he thinks they like bird seed or parsley leaves.

They are mostly on the oak which coincidentally is right on my window. hovering. Nothing is yet blooming. I am pretty sure they are searching for wood to make a nest. i am being careful but I do not see that they have made a nest on my property.

I would hate to have the landlord exterminate.

I read an article yesterday that an organization of scientists named bees the most important organism on the planet. I agree. If we get rid of bees, we get rid of most edible plants

mk5000

It was 1960 at The Showplace, long since
defunct, on West 4th St., and I sat at the bar,
casting beer money from a thin reel of ones,
the kid in the city, big ears like a puppy.--Mingus at the Showplace

By William Matthews

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 16 Mar 2021 20:08:16 -0400, posted for all of us to
digest...

wrote:

On Sun, 14 Mar 2021 12:25:54 -0400, Frank posted for all of us to digest...

Happiness is a bitch with a cock in her mouth

http://gfretwell.com/ftp/Bitch%20wit...er%20mouth.jpg

Showing results for is it true that only female birds whistle

In temperate regions like North America and Europe, where the bulk of
western ornithology takes place, many female birds do not sing. Instead,
it is the migrating male birds who show up and strike up a tune to stake
out a spring and summer territory. And, of course, they serenade females
with the goal of mating.Mar 14, 2018

Cock-robin I just couldn't resist.

Is she half Lab & half German Short haired Pointer?

--
Tekkie