Posted to alt.home.repair
marika marika is offline

Default for the birds

On Sun, 14 Mar 2021 12:25:54 -0400, Frank posted for all of us to digest...

Showing results for is it true that only female birds whistle

In temperate regions like North America and Europe, where the bulk of
western ornithology takes place, many female birds do not sing. Instead,
it is the migrating male birds who show up and strike up a tune to stake
out a spring and summer territory. And, of course, they serenade females
with the goal of mating.Mar 14, 2018

Cock-robin I just couldn't resist.

--
Tekkie

you should get a lot of mileage out of another bird, the woodcock

some of the alternate and regional names are hilarious

one of the problems I had in getting the birds interested was difficulty in finding an appropriate feeder

the most popular kinds are not useful because I do not have the ability to hang one. I bought a really nice one but the clamp was too small for the size and shape of the railing.

I tried an s chain on the railing and that worked but the feeder did not remain under the overhang so the feed got wet and moldy after rain

I eventually solved it by old fashioned jury rigging, using a tupperware container and some wire to fashion a platform feeder

old tech is the best tech

mk5000

Tell me not of joy: there's none
Now my little sparrow's gone;
He, just as you,
Would toy and woo,
He would chirp and flatter me,
He would hang the wing awhile,
Till at length he saw me smile,
Lord! how sullen he would be!
William Cartwright, Lesbia and the Sparrow; reported in Hoyt's New Cyclopedia Of Practical Quotations (1922), p. 740.