Posted to SCI.ELECTONICS.REPAIR,alt.home.repair

Default 3.5mm jacks and what they fit?

3.5mm jacks and what they fit?

Am I correct that 3.5 mm. jacks are designed so that they work with TR,
TRR, and TRRR plugs.

That is, the jacks intended for stereo sound and a mike will also work
fine with just a stereo speaker plug, and also with a monaural plug?
(Will it just have the left channel or will it combine the two?)

And the jacks intended for stereo sound will work fine with a monaural
plug? (Will it just have the left channel or will it combine the two?)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 11 Mar 2021 21:17:23 -0500, micky
wrote:

3.5mm jacks and what they fit?

Am I correct that 3.5 mm. jacks are designed so that they work with TR,
TRR, and TRRR plugs.

That is, the jacks intended for stereo sound and a mike will also work
fine with just a stereo speaker plug, and also with a monaural plug?
(Will it just have the left channel or will it combine the two?)

And the jacks intended for stereo sound will work fine with a monaural
plug? (Will it just have the left channel or will it combine the two?)

If you plug a mono plug into a stereo jack you short out one channel
the ring and the one that feeds the tip will come through. Whether
that blows the amp depends on the design
Posted to SCI.ELECTONICS.REPAIR,alt.home.repair

micky wrote

3.5mm jacks and what they fit?

Am I correct that 3.5 mm. jacks are designed
so that they work with TR, TRR, and TRRR plugs.

Nope.

That is, the jacks intended for stereo sound and a mike will also work
fine with just a stereo speaker plug, and also with a monaural plug?

Not always.

(Will it just have the left channel or will it combine the two?)

No way for a passive jack socket to combine the two.

And the jacks intended for stereo sound will work fine with a monaural
plug? (Will it just have the left channel or will it combine the two?)

See above.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lonely Obnoxious Auto-contradicting Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!

On Fri, 12 Mar 2021 16:35:02 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Am I correct that 3.5 mm. jacks are designed
so that they work with TR, TRR, and TRRR plugs.

Nope.

LOL

That is, the jacks intended for stereo sound and a mike will also work
fine with just a stereo speaker plug, and also with a monaural plug?

Not always.

LOL

(Will it just have the left channel or will it combine the two?)

No way

LOL

Feeling better again, you clinically insane, auto-contradicting, senile
pest?

cretin's pathological trolling:

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 12 Mar 2021 02:48:06 -0500, micky
wrote:

wrote:

3.5mm jacks and what they fit?

Am I correct that 3.5 mm. jacks are designed so that they work with TR,
TRR, and TRRR plugs.

Should end in S, TRS, TRRS, TRRRS.

That is, the jacks intended for stereo sound and a mike will also work
fine with just a stereo speaker plug, and also with a monaural plug?
(Will it just have the left channel or will it combine the two?)

And the jacks intended for stereo sound will work fine with a monaural
plug? (Will it just have the left channel or will it combine the two?)

If you plug a mono plug into a stereo jack you short out one channel
the ring and the one that feeds the tip will come through. Whether
that blows the amp depends on the design

Good to know. I have a PC microphone with a mono plug.

On an input like that all that will happen is you will only hear one
channel. Grounding an input shouldn't hurt anything. You can buy an
adapter that will take two mono plugs and combine them into a stereo
plug. You just need to be careful not to get them confused with a
stereo splitter. They look the same. I scratch an M/M on mine and an S
on the splitters as soon as I open the package.