Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Keep-Right inducer blower

Back in 2003 I had a new 80+ Tempstar (same as Keeprite) furnace
installed - and had the neighbour's installed at the same time.
2 years later mine developed a squeek in the inducer and no-one had
one in stock locally - and my dealer had gone TU so the local repair
guys said I would have to pay the parts and install up front and
submit it to POSSIBLY get part or most of it refunded ($400 plus
labour).
I determinedthe noise was coming from the squirrel cage blower "web"
fretting on the hub and after trying unsuccessfully to remove the
blower wheel I brazed the blower to the hub - it's been quiet ever
since

A few months ago the neighbour complained about a "buzz" in the
furnace or ductwork - I put a bit of padding on the furnace access
panel and it quieted down. Last week he called and said the furnace
was noisy. I went over to check and the furnace would not start - the
inducer fan growled and squwked, but that was it. I got it running
again (it was a COLD day) and attempted to source a replacement. The
original had a cast aluminum "scroll" and the motor was made by Jaykel
- and it is no longer available ICP has switched to a sheet metal
scroll and a Fasco motor which I was able to sourse for just under
$300 - so I decided to attempt to rebuild the old one for a spare in
case mine goes bad.
It almost took a grenade to get it apart. I had to split the outer
bearing races and grind them off the shaft. Then Ihad to press the
shaft out of the armature to get the shaft and blower wheel out of the
case and it took a 10 ton press to get the shaft out of the hub of the
blower. After that the job got a lot simpler - $15 plus tax for 3 feet
of 8mm drill rod to make a new shaft, anf $15 for a set of 608 sealled
SKF bearings - and about an hour of assembling - pushing the shaft
into the armature, locating the bearings properly on the shaft (and
lock-titing them tokeep them in place - drill rod is no "accurately
ground" like true shafting - - - and installing and truing th cooling
fan and the squirrel cage - which I pre-emptively brazed together
before installing - after reaming the hole for the shaft to clear up
the galling damage from pressing it apart.

One perfectly smooth and quiet blower motor now sitting on the shelf
ready to replace the original if it fails - for a total or $35 - or
just over 10 cents on the dollar - and I have enough shafting left
over to rebuild another 6 - - -
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/11/2021 5:33 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:

One perfectly smooth and quiet blower motor now sitting on the shelf
ready to replace the original if it fails - for a total or $35 - or
just over 10 cents on the dollar - and I have enough shafting left
over to rebuild another 6 - - -

Good savings. Now, if you want to get the shaft, call Clare.