Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

Default What Is a Furnace Draft Inducer Blower? I'll tell you what it is ...

On Dec 12, 12:41*pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
On Dec 11, 10:38*pm, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

On 12/11/2010 10:35 PM, hr(bob) wrote:

On Dec 11, 10:00 pm, wrote:
On Sat, 11 Dec 2010 20:21:24 -0500,
wrote:

On Sat, 11 Dec 2010 19:43:10 -0500, Home *wrote:

It's another component that can fail on you on the coldest night of the
year, over a holiday weekend, fouling up your vacation or christmas
plans.

Tell me if your precious, modern furnaces with their ECM fan motors save
electricity when they also have to have these draft motors running..

* * Hate to break this to you, Homey, but the type of blower motor
has nothing to do with the presence or absence of a draft inducer
motor.

* *And the draft inducer motor can be single speed PSC, dual speed PSC,
or dual or variable speed ECM.

What is/are *PSC and ECM? * I have a 50 year-old furnace that is more
efficient than some of the new ones after I modified the flame to use
1/2 the gas it originally used.

Did you keep the same BTU output? ;-)

TDD- Hide quoted text -

No. *I filled (soldered) in the gas nozzle and then redrilled it so
that the gas consumption is about 1/2 of the previous amount. *I
verified this by checking the usage per 10 minutes, before and after,
using my gas meter as the measuring instrument. *I run the blower 100%
most of the heating season to even out temperatures thruout the house
as we have a 4-level split level house and the heat rises very well
unless you are circulating constantly. *My overall gas consumption is
very noticeably lower. *I have records dating back to 1966 when we
bought the house so I can average over several years to see the
difference. *I'm a cheap SOB, frugal, obsessed with saving money, any
or all of the previous appelations.- Hide quoted text -

I wonder how much the cold air that is still flowing through the old
furnace cools
the air down in winter while it's moving through it 24/7? I would
never circulate
air constantly in winter as I believe with losses through the ducts,
furnace, etc, its a
losing proposition. However, at least with a new furnace with draft
inducer, the
air moving throguh the combustion chamber when its off will be way
less.