Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default ?Q?I=e2=80=99ve_practiced_law_for_decades=2e_When _I_read_Tru?= ?Q?mp=e2=80=99s_impeachment_defense=2c_I_couldn=e 2=80=99t_stop_laugh?= ?Q?ing?=

Over my years as a law professor and practitioner, I have read thousands
of draft pleadings written by law students and junior lawyers. Their
quality varies, but I would be hard-pressed to think of a more
incompetent piece of advocacy than that produced by Donald Trumps
defense team, for a client they insistently refer to as €śthe 45th
President of the United States€ť.

The first line of the brief is directed to €śthe Honorable, the Members
of the Unites States Senate.€ť There are probably three errors in that
first line. No need for the first comma, or €śthe€ť before Members. €śThe
Honorable Members€ť would have been fine. And unless the alternative
Trump legal universe is appealing to the senators of an alternative
Unites States, that €śs€ť after €śUnite€ť would be error number three.

€śUnites€ť is, if not the correct word, at least a word, meaning an
automated spellcheck would not pick it up. But really, did no human cast
their eyes over the first line of a pleading to be submitted for the
former president of the United States in an impeachment trial? And
remarkably, there it is again, on page nine: €śThe Honorable, the Members
of the Unites States Senate.€ť So the new legal team apparently does know
how to cut and paste, but it seems no one even looked at the text when
they used that odd locution a second time.

Then theres the matter of length. The brief is fourteen pages total. It
serves as a response to a dense, 80-page legal brief filed by House
impeachment managers to outline their case against Trump. If this were a
boxing match, it would have been stopped by the top of page two.

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/ve-practic...171155382.html