Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT. Computer Purchase Advice

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 14 Dec 2020 20:35:41 -0700, AJL
wrote:

On 12/14/2020 6:40 PM, micky wrote:
In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 14 Dec 2020 15:13:53 -0700, AJL
wrote:

On 12/14/2020 1:39 PM, micky wrote:
In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 14 Dec 2020 10:34:17 -0700, AJL
wrote:

there's also another way where Windows connects with your phone
and runs the Android apps there but you're using your laptop
screen instead of the phone. You would need your phone to be
nearby.

I tried a couple of those, when iirc looking for a way to type
into the phone without using the phone.

The one that came up first I could never get to work. I forget
its name. I deduced, perhaps incorrectly, that I needed
something called adb----, and I dl'd a file from somewhere I had
not heard of, and unzipped it, and before I knew it I had a
virus. it kept bring up screens I did not want in the browser.
Now I recall that was when I first got Vista, and I had disabled
UAC. Now I don't do that.

It's not the fault of the phone, etc. that I got the virus, and
I was able to track it down and squash it.

After looking it up I see that what I meant was the Windows "Your
Phone" app. What I mentioned is apparently an added new feature
(beta?) to an old app and only available for certain phones.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Your_Phone

Well this page calls Your Phone Companion a legacy app that has been
replaced by Your Phone, but the Android app store only has Your Phone
Companion, not Your Phone (which I guess is for iphones.)

You need the Windows 'Your Phone' app on your PC *and* the Android 'Your
Phone Companion' app on your phone. They talk to each other. I just
installed them and the connection seems to be working fine. The Android
apps installed on my phone now also run fine using the PC screen. BUT
they run in a small vertical phone like window that can't be expanded

Well, it worked. It semes to require logging in every time, unlike
myphoneexplorer, but it also displaye my photos and pretty big too. I
needed 5 of them and I could copy each one to the clipboard. So far size
was not a problem. Thanks.

So IMO my full screen BlueStacks Android emulator is far superior at
running Android apps on a PC. YMMV.

https://www.bluestacks.com/
I'm a little afraid of her machine gun.

Your Phone Companion looks pretty good. I'm going to install it,
even though my next phone is not on the list, with a link at
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...oft.appmanager

I hope I don't like it so much I won't be able to change phones.
Reviews since Dec. 1 up until Dec. 11 have been pretty bad. This is
Companion, not what you wrote about.

Another problem, Again, like with MyPhoneExplorer, when an app needs
a program on the PC, it's hard to find what it is or where to get
it.

Phone's in the other room. I'll let you know if I get it working.

Yes, I did.

Posted to alt.home.repair
AJL AJL is offline

wrote:

[...]

Mine didn't. Dunno why.

but it also displaye my photos and pretty big too.

Guess it depends on the screen. My LT has a 12" screen and since my
phone is a + model they both end up looking about the same size.

I needed 5 of them and I could copy each one to the clipboard. So
far size was not a problem. Thanks.

Glad it worked out for you.

So IMO my full screen BlueStacks Android emulator is far superior
at running Android apps on a PC. YMMV.

https://www.bluestacks.com/ I'm a little afraid of her machine gun.

:-) Yep, the BlueStacks Android emulator has some scary games. But
fortunately it also works well (full screen) for my favorite Android
news apps that don't have anything equivalent in Windows.

Your Phone Companion looks pretty good. I'm going to install it,
even though my next phone is not on the list, with a link at

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...oft.appmanager

I hope I don't like it so much I won't be able to change phones.
Reviews since Dec. 1 up until Dec. 11 have been pretty bad. This
is Companion, not what you wrote about.

Another problem, Again, like with MyPhoneExplorer, when an app
needs a program on the PC, it's hard to find what it is or where
to get it.

Phone's in the other room. I'll let you know if I get it
working.

Yes, I did.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Maybe it didnt' really, or maybe it's because I turn my phone off in
between. I only want to link the two once in a while so it's not a
problem.

but it also displaye my photos and pretty big too.

Guess it depends on the screen. My LT has a 12" screen and since my
phone is a + model they both end up looking about the same size.

My phone will display either a whole bunch of little ones, or one
picture at a time full screen, but this displayed 6 iirc at a time, 2
columns, 3 rows. Very convenient.

MyPhoneExploer makes it easy to copy the pictures to the PC and use
whatever I want to display them, but it's more steps.

OTOH, the other thing I really want is if I have to send long texts.
MyPhoneExplorer does a good job, but who knows, this might be better.

I needed 5 of them and I could copy each one to the clipboard. So
far size was not a problem. Thanks.

Glad it worked out for you.

So IMO my full screen BlueStacks Android emulator is far superior
at running Android apps on a PC. YMMV.

https://www.bluestacks.com/ I'm a little afraid of her machine gun.

:-) Yep, the BlueStacks Android emulator has some scary games. But
fortunately it also works well (full screen) for my favorite Android
news apps that don't have anything equivalent in Windows.

I haven't installed it yet. Those machine guns you know, but maybe
Sunday.

Well the WYPR app has all the NPR program archives in one place. I
could use that. (I'm surprised all the NPR stations don't use the same
app, with the call letters changed, but I dont' thin they do.)

Posted to alt.home.repair
AJL AJL is offline

AJL wrote:

[...]

It's likely because you turn your phone off then. My LT and phone
apparently continue talking to each other when sleeping because there
are texts waiting for me in the morning when I wake the LT.

but it also displaye my photos and pretty big too.

Guess it depends on the screen. My LT has a 12" screen and since my
phone is a + model they both end up looking about the same size.

My phone will display either a whole bunch of little ones, or one
picture at a time full screen, but this displayed 6 iirc at a time, 2
columns, 3 rows. Very convenient.

MyPhoneExploer makes it easy to copy the pictures to the PC and use
whatever I want to display them, but it's more steps.

I use Google Drive for photos. Whether I want to bore people with
pictures on my LT, phone, TV, or one of my tablets, they're always
available and synced. Likewise I can add a photo (or any file or folder)
from any one device and it's automatically synced to all my other devices.

Google does have a special app for photos that does the same thing
(likely better) but I've been using my photo (and video) file system
since before Google and didn't want to change or be locked into one app.

OTOH, the other thing I really want is if I have to send long texts.
MyPhoneExplorer does a good job, but who knows, this might be
better.

I needed 5 of them and I could copy each one to the clipboard. So
far size was not a problem. Thanks.

Glad it worked out for you.

So IMO my full screen BlueStacks Android emulator is far
superior at running Android apps on a PC. YMMV.

https://www.bluestacks.com/ I'm a little afraid of her machine
gun.

:-) Yep, the BlueStacks Android emulator has some scary games. But
fortunately it also works well (full screen) for my favorite
Android news apps that don't have anything equivalent in Windows.

I haven't installed it yet. Those machine guns you know, but maybe
Sunday.

Well the WYPR app has all the NPR program archives in one place.

I downloaded WYPR to give it a try. Works great full screen. Will keep
it. Thanks.

I could use that. (I'm surprised all the NPR stations don't use the
same app, with the call letters changed, but I dont' thin they do.)

The NPR app (by NPR) unfortunately doesn't run full screen in BlueStacks.