Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Building permit after the fact?

On Thursday, September 12, 2002 at 10:50:29 PM UTC-4, Tim Fischer wrote:
They could also make you tear everything out.
It's probably best to call anonymously (from a pay phone if you're really
paranoid grin) and see how the planning department responds.
-Tim
"Bill Johnson" wrote in message
Ok, maybe I've gone mad but...

I finished a bedroom in our lower level that was framed by the builders.. I
added wiring, sheetrocked, etc.

I never obtained a building permit. What would likely happen if I turned
myself in? Now don't go nuts with constitutional stuff and a debate about
building permits in general. I just want to know what is likely to happen.
BTW, I live in MN.

I live in Sarasota County, Florida. Here, if you call the county's main number (the only way to reach the building department) you will be recorded and your number will be used to trace your identity. Big Brother knows who you are, and you cannot call anonymously even if you do not give them your name. Sarasota County Florida is like living in China.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 5 Oct 2020 08:24:33 -0700 (PDT), Larry
Wilson wrote:

On Thursday, September 12, 2002 at 10:50:29 PM UTC-4, Tim Fischer wrote:
They could also make you tear everything out.
It's probably best to call anonymously (from a pay phone if you're really
paranoid grin) and see how the planning department responds.

There was a car parked in our n'hood parking lot, about 200 feet from
me, and after 2 or 3 weeks his tire was going flat. Our obnoxious at
the time HOA was towing away cars with flat tires and apparently there
was no one there, neither he nor a friend, to pump the tire up. So I
did. A few weeks later it was going flat again. Maybe I pumped it up
one more time but eventually the thought occurred to me, Maybe it was
stolen and left here. But I didn't want to call the police and have
them get the idea to come, look at it, and tow it.

So I wanted a pay phone. 4 years ago. There actually are 2 or 3 I
know of, but they seem designed to call Latin America or the Carribean,
and have special rates and billing methods.

So inspired by old movies, I went to a hotel. They didn't have a pay
phone either, but I asked at the desk and she told me to just use the
house phone. around the corner. Dial 9.

The police wouldn't tell me, but later that very day I was driving by a
state police office, and I went in there. They told me it was not
stolen.

I pumped up the tire one more time and left a note stuffed through a
crack in the door. The car was gone a few weeks later, but he didn't
call. I was curious who had parked here.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Wilson wrote:

[...]

See what I wrote about calling from a hotel. Probably just dial 9 from
a lobby house phone, and if that doesn't work, ask nicely at the desk.
Tell them the truth, and smile. People are understanding and the truth
is better than letting them imagine you're doing a drug deal.

Call another contractor and ask what happens, although that's not as
good as the horse's mouth.

There are also regs that might be online, but reality often doesn't
match regs, especially in situations like this. I wouldn't go by what
the regs say.

And how to posts show up on AHR when there were two prior posts in the
same thread that were not here?