Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,ca.driving

Default What metric do you use to estimate remaining brake pad life on a typical economy sedan?

On Sun, 02 Aug 2020 12:28:47 -0400, Steve W. wrote:

There is no rule of thumb for brake wear because it depends more on the
driver, vehicle location and the pad materials than anything else.

That's like saying there's no average lifespan for a person or vehicle.
o It's a copout (in my humble opinion).

Yes, there _is_ a rule of thumb.
o For example, no front disc pads last the life of the vehicle.

And as another example, no pads likely last only 10,000 miles either.

There's an AVERAGE.
o That's what I seek.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,ca.driving

Arlen Holder wrote:
On Sun, 02 Aug 2020 12:28:47 -0400, Steve W. wrote:

There is no rule of thumb for brake wear because it depends more on the
driver, vehicle location and the pad materials than anything else.

That's like saying there's no average lifespan for a person or vehicle.
o It's a copout (in my humble opinion).

Yes, there _is_ a rule of thumb.
o For example, no front disc pads last the life of the vehicle.

And as another example, no pads likely last only 10,000 miles either.

There's an AVERAGE.
o That's what I seek.

Not a cop out just a fact. I know of people who do burn through front
pads in under 10K and I know of others with 60K on fronts. They drive
differently and use different parts. The only time you can make a guess
is on your own vehicle, because you know how you drive.

There really is no average when it comes to brakes unless you know how
that person drives, where they drive and the parts they used. I never
gave a guess on pad life, I would however measure the pads and tell them
what was left. If it was a new car then you have a mileage to use, but
even that wouldn't matter much if the car had been setting for a while
and now it's driven 6-800 miles a day.

--
Steve W.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,ca.driving

On 8/17/2020 6:46 PM, Arlen Holder wrote:
On Sun, 02 Aug 2020 12:28:47 -0400, Steve W. wrote:

There is no rule of thumb for brake wear because it depends more on the
driver, vehicle location and the pad materials than anything else.

That's like saying there's no average lifespan for a person or vehicle.
o It's a copout (in my humble opinion).

Yes, there _is_ a rule of thumb.
o For example, no front disc pads last the life of the vehicle.

And as another example, no pads likely last only 10,000 miles either.

There's an AVERAGE.
o That's what I seek.

I've gone through pads in 10,000 miles. The rule of thumb you seek
depends on driving conditions.

When you first brought this up I mentioned my experience from city
living to rural living the the difference is huge. AVERAGE is
meaningless unless you know where you stand on the parameters. .
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 17 Aug 2020 21:17:51 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[...]

You still haven't put the twit in the bit bucket?????
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/18/2020 12:49 AM, Clare Snyder wrote:
[...]

I guess I have a strange sense of humor.