Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

Default What metric do you use to estimate remaining brake pad life on a typical economy sedan?

On Mon, 10 Aug 2020 11:10:15 -0700 (PDT), N8N wrote:

Another factor is riveted vs. bonded linings,
you can run a bonded lining a lot thinner than a riveted one.
5mm might be thiiiiiis close to grinding the rivet heads.

That's a good point I hadn't remembered as I haven't seen riveted pads for
a long time, although I do remember them from the past.

They would groove a rotor in no time.

What I'm seeking is how long do YOU get on a set of front pads?
Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On 8/17/2020 6:46 PM, Arlen Holder wrote:
On Mon, 10 Aug 2020 11:10:15 -0700 (PDT), N8N wrote:

Another factor is riveted vs. bonded linings,
you can run a bonded lining a lot thinner than a riveted one.
5mm might be thiiiiiis close to grinding the rivet heads.

That's a good point I hadn't remembered as I haven't seen riveted pads for
a long time, although I do remember them from the past.

They would groove a rotor in no time.

What I'm seeking is how long do YOU get on a set of front pads?

I have traded-in my cars at 60,000 for the last 30 years.Â* Never had a brake job.