Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Annoying tic-toc clock.

"Phil Kangas" wrote in message news:...

wrote in message
On Sat, 1 Aug 2020 13:18:33 -0400, "Phil Kangas"

wrote:

I have a Westclox battery powered wall clock with a
7 inch diameter face and it has a very annoying
tic-toc sound that I cannot figure out how to silence.
I tried gluing hardwood blocks to the back and it
helped a little but not enough. I find it hard to fall
asleep because of this. Perhaps filling in the back
with quick crete cement would do it? I suppose the
clock gearbox itself would have to be protected so
it could be replaced sometime in the future.
Or maybe just a space to allow changing the battery.
Any hints?
phil the old hermit

The standard battery powered clock movements come in 2
types :
: continuous sweep = silent
: mini quartz = tik tok

They cost about $ 10..
A Thrift Store clock can be had for less.

The critical dimension is the length of the stem.

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop...lock-movements

John T.

That's what I'm looking for! Thanks John T. for this link.
;) phil

That tic-toc has been fired! I installed that continuous
sweep
unit and now I'm happy with it being so quiet. :) phil k.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 11 Aug 2020 14:11:00 -0400, Phil Kangas posted for all of us to
digest...

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for letting us know. G Fretwell really comes up with the goods. While I
sit here in a daze and wonder...

--
Tekkie