Axial

Default Floor squeak and joist bracing

My 40-yr-old home has an annoying squeaky spot under the carpet in one
area. When I was in the crawlspace insulating the water pipes, I noticed
a place in the same general area as the squeak where one cross-brace
"leg" had become unattached from the joist. Could this be causing the
squeak? If so, would just nailing it on again fix the squeak, or should
I put some sort of shim between the floorboard and the joist first?
Joists are 16" o.c., if that matters.

Thx.

Joseph Meehan

Axial wrote:
My 40-yr-old home has an annoying squeaky spot under the carpet in one
area. When I was in the crawlspace insulating the water pipes, I noticed
a place in the same general area as the squeak where one cross-brace
"leg" had become unattached from the joist. Could this be causing the
squeak? If so, would just nailing it on again fix the squeak, or should
I put some sort of shim between the floorboard and the joist first?
Joists are 16" o.c., if that matters.

Thx.

Yes, but I would screw it not nail it.

BTW, it that does not fix it, then I suggest getting some of the screws
made for the use and then screwing through the carpet to tighten the
sub-floor to the floor joist.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Les Nessman

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
Axial wrote:
My 40-yr-old home has an annoying squeaky spot under the carpet in one
area. When I was in the crawlspace insulating the water pipes, I noticed
a place in the same general area as the squeak where one cross-brace
"leg" had become unattached from the joist. Could this be causing the
squeak? If so, would just nailing it on again fix the squeak, or should
I put some sort of shim between the floorboard and the joist first?
Joists are 16" o.c., if that matters.

Thx.

Yes, but I would screw it not nail it.

Adding glue to the screw also works wonders.

Floor joist sistering question Neil Home Repair 13 February 1st 04 08:59 PM
floor joist RB Home Repair 1 January 23rd 04 06:42 PM
more surprises - rotten joist and no lintel! Niel A. Farrow UK diy 3 August 15th 03 08:36 PM
Replacing damaged joists DjB UK diy 14 July 16th 03 12:42 PM