DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Floor squeak and joist bracing (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/67335-floor-squeak-joist-bracing.html)

Axial August 31st 04 04:58 AM

Floor squeak and joist bracing

My 40-yr-old home has an annoying squeaky spot under the carpet in one
area. When I was in the crawlspace insulating the water pipes, I noticed
a place in the same general area as the squeak where one cross-brace
"leg" had become unattached from the joist. Could this be causing the
squeak? If so, would just nailing it on again fix the squeak, or should
I put some sort of shim between the floorboard and the joist first?
Joists are 16" o.c., if that matters.

Thx.

Joseph Meehan August 31st 04 12:20 PM

Axial wrote:
My 40-yr-old home has an annoying squeaky spot under the carpet in one
area. When I was in the crawlspace insulating the water pipes, I noticed
a place in the same general area as the squeak where one cross-brace
"leg" had become unattached from the joist. Could this be causing the
squeak? If so, would just nailing it on again fix the squeak, or should
I put some sort of shim between the floorboard and the joist first?
Joists are 16" o.c., if that matters.

Thx.

Yes, but I would screw it not nail it.

BTW, it that does not fix it, then I suggest getting some of the screws
made for the use and then screwing through the carpet to tighten the
sub-floor to the floor joist.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Les Nessman August 31st 04 01:41 PM

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
Axial wrote:
My 40-yr-old home has an annoying squeaky spot under the carpet in one
area. When I was in the crawlspace insulating the water pipes, I noticed
a place in the same general area as the squeak where one cross-brace
"leg" had become unattached from the joist. Could this be causing the
squeak? If so, would just nailing it on again fix the squeak, or should
I put some sort of shim between the floorboard and the joist first?
Joists are 16" o.c., if that matters.

Thx.

Yes, but I would screw it not nail it.

Adding glue to the screw also works wonders.