Ian

Default New toilet not staying full

Just installed a new Kohler Cimarron toilet in a rennovated bathroom.
When I flush it seems as though both the tank and bowl fill but then
once the tank is done and shuts off the bowl starts to drain and I
hear water trickling until the bowl is almost empty.
Anyone able to offer a suggestion as to what's happening?

thanks
Ian
Travis Jordan

Ian wrote:
Just installed a new Kohler Cimarron toilet in a rennovated bathroom.
When I flush it seems as though both the tank and bowl fill but then
once the tank is done and shuts off the bowl starts to drain and I
hear water trickling until the bowl is almost empty.
Anyone able to offer a suggestion as to what's happening?

thanks
Ian

If all (or almost all) of the water drains out, there may be a
crack/flaw in the bowl and the water is just leaking out. Slowly pour
water in the bowl until a normal water level is attained. If the water
level drops, there is a problem with the bowl. If the water level stays
the same then you have a vent problem.

Ian

I slowly poured a bucket of water in there and it did indeed get to a
point where it looked full and then it drained out. Surely if the bowl
is cracked I'll see water somewhere and the area is totally dry above
and below the floor, I have access to both at the moment!

Ian

"Travis Jordan" wrote in message ...
Ian wrote:
Just installed a new Kohler Cimarron toilet in a rennovated bathroom.
When I flush it seems as though both the tank and bowl fill but then
once the tank is done and shuts off the bowl starts to drain and I
hear water trickling until the bowl is almost empty.
Anyone able to offer a suggestion as to what's happening?

thanks
Ian

If all (or almost all) of the water drains out, there may be a
crack/flaw in the bowl and the water is just leaking out. Slowly pour
water in the bowl until a normal water level is attained. If the water
level drops, there is a problem with the bowl. If the water level stays
the same then you have a vent problem.

Speedy Jim

Ian wrote:

I slowly poured a bucket of water in there and it did indeed get to a
point where it looked full and then it drained out. Surely if the bowl
is cracked I'll see water somewhere and the area is totally dry above
and below the floor, I have access to both at the moment!

Ian

Good test! A bucket slowly poured in will *not* under any
circumstances cause self-siphoning of the trap.
(Anyway, the old toilet didn't self-siphon.)

So......that leaves a defect in the bowl. Doesn't happen
very often and I'm sure the factory tests for it, but there is
apparently a tiny hole in the clay between sections of
the internal trap. This won't leak outside the bowl,
but permits the trap water to enter the drain.

Document what tests you did and ask how to return it.
Jim

Ian wrote:
Just installed a new Kohler Cimarron toilet in a rennovated bathroom.
When I flush it seems as though both the tank and bowl fill but then
once the tank is done and shuts off the bowl starts to drain and I
hear water trickling until the bowl is almost empty.
Anyone able to offer a suggestion as to what's happening?

thanks
Ian

If all (or almost all) of the water drains out, there may be a
crack/flaw in the bowl and the water is just leaking out. Slowly pour
water in the bowl until a normal water level is attained. If the water
level drops, there is a problem with the bowl. If the water level stays
the same then you have a vent problem.

Rudy

I slowly poured a bucket of water in there and it did indeed get to a
point where it looked full and then it drained out. Surely if the bowl
is cracked I'll see water somewhere and the area is totally dry above
and below the floor, I have access to both at the moment!

Put some food coloring in the tank to see where its going.

Ian

So, if I were to remove the tank and then remove the bowl, I should be
able to set the bowl on a level surface outside and then fill the bowl
to it's expected level (specs say water surface should be 11 x 10) and
see if it drains, if it does then the bowl is definitely defective, if
it doesn't then I need to re inspect my DWV.

Ian