jch

Default Deck question

I've got a couple of guys building a deck for me at a house I'm either going
to sell or rent (an investment property). The deck height is only a couple
of feet off the ground. They're not bolting the ledger board to the house
(cinder block) and instead are using only concrete nails. Also, they're not
going to put footers in until after they've finished the deck. Everything is
on temporary supports and then they'll come back and dig footers and pour
some concrete. Does this sound right? Thanks.

m Ransley

It sounds ass backwards wont the deck be a bit lower after they do
the concrete, concrete should cure for a period. Maybe they dont have
more work and want to get the big pay now. Why not pour concrete
first, let it cure then do the deck.

Nader

"jch" wrote
I've got a couple of guys building a deck for me at a house I'm either

going
to sell or rent (an investment property). The deck height is only a couple
of feet off the ground. They're not bolting the ledger board to the house
(cinder block) and instead are using only concrete nails. Also, they're

not
going to put footers in until after they've finished the deck. Everything

is
on temporary supports and then they'll come back and dig footers and pour
some concrete. Does this sound right? Thanks.

Sounds about right for a couple guys working for a 12 pack.

newfy.1

"jch" wrote in message
.. .
I've got a couple of guys building a deck for me at a house I'm either

going
to sell or rent (an investment property). The deck height is only a couple
of feet off the ground. They're not bolting the ledger board to the house
(cinder block) and instead are using only concrete nails. Also, they're

not
going to put footers in until after they've finished the deck. Everything

is
on temporary supports and then they'll come back and dig footers and pour
some concrete. Does this sound right? Thanks.

Why in the world would they do the footers *after* the deck is built? They
have to dig down and pour the cement and it would be a heck of a lot easier
to do this *without* a deck over them. Weird, IMO.

JennP.

jch

Update:
They built the deck frame on temporary posts and then put in footers at the
end of the day. Decking goes on today. Looks OK I guess but since I wasn't
there at the time, I can't tell how deep the footers go or if there's any
concrete under them (or just around them). I put the ledger bolts in myself.

"jch" wrote in message
.. .
I've got a couple of guys building a deck for me at a house I'm either
going to sell or rent (an investment property). The deck height is only a
couple of feet off the ground. They're not bolting the ledger board to the
house (cinder block) and instead are using only concrete nails. Also,
they're not going to put footers in until after they've finished the deck.
Everything is on temporary supports and then they'll come back and dig
footers and pour some concrete. Does this sound right? Thanks.

m Ransley

Let the concrete CURE first. and dig your self to see how deep they are.
Sounds like the Hack Boys are at your house. Is it treated wood ,
many fasteners dont last with the new treated, ck the whole job out. Did
they buy bag concrete look at the receipt for how much. Did they buy
sand to dilute it ? I know of contractors that cheat every chance they
get, some take 50% down do 5% and you are the looser. Dont pay ill you
know its good