Joe Neidar

Default best substitute for butyl rubber caulk?

Hi,

I've got a replacement closet ring for a toilet that says to apply a bead
of butyl rubber caulk to the underside. I could not find any butyl rubber
caulk at Home Depot or Lowes. Is there something I can use instead? Like
roof sealant (also good for gutter repair) or regular bathorom silicon?
There's also some silicon Ultra product that has rubber in it.

Or is there a place where I can get butyl rubber caulk?

Also does anybody know if I can just use plain zinc plated screws to attach
the ring (it's a Superior Tool Super Ring) or do I need something special
like stainless steel?

Thanks
Charlie Bress

"Joe Neidar" wrote in message
Hi,

I've got a replacement closet ring for a toilet that says to apply a bead
of butyl rubber caulk to the underside. I could not find any butyl rubber
caulk at Home Depot or Lowes. Is there something I can use instead? Like
roof sealant (also good for gutter repair) or regular bathorom silicon?
There's also some silicon Ultra product that has rubber in it.

Or is there a place where I can get butyl rubber caulk?

Also does anybody know if I can just use plain zinc plated screws to

attach
the ring (it's a Superior Tool Super Ring) or do I need something special
like stainless steel?

Thanks

Tell you what. Go to Google (Google is your friend) and search for Superior
Tool Super Ring. It will get you to Superior's web pages and then search
for butyl. Part way down the butyl search page you will find what you are
looking for. $2.99 + shipping etc.

Charlie

DanG

I don't know why they changed the tubes and the names of the
caulk. For many years Macklanburg Duncan marketed an excellent
butyl rubber caulk. They were bought out by GE. They still make
the same caulk, but the tube says gutter and lap sealant. Butyl
rubber gets mentioned in real fine print on the back of the tube.
I am a believer in polyurethanes, a hater of silicone, and I do
not see either of them as equal to butyl rubber for certain
applications.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"Joe Neidar" wrote in message
Hi,

I've got a replacement closet ring for a toilet that says to

apply a bead
of butyl rubber caulk to the underside. I could not find any

butyl rubber
caulk at Home Depot or Lowes. Is there something I can use

instead? Like
roof sealant (also good for gutter repair) or regular bathorom

silicon?
There's also some silicon Ultra product that has rubber in it.

Or is there a place where I can get butyl rubber caulk?

Also does anybody know if I can just use plain zinc plated

screws to attach
the ring (it's a Superior Tool Super Ring) or do I need

something special
like stainless steel?

Thanks

Joe Neidar

"Charlie Bress" wrote in
:

"Joe Neidar" wrote in message
[...]

actually I did google ... for butyl rubber caulk ... I got the impression
it was a obsolete product, but I went directly to the superior web site
first, looked at the product list and was tempted to send mail to engineer
but figured I get a faster answer here. (? when I search for butyl on the
superior site, I don't get squat)

anyway, I checked out the dap website and the roof caulk that i've used
before is butyl rubber, although I got it at HD and the one I picked up
recently at Lowes isn't the same, although they're both DAP. I've notice
this with the bathroom stuff, too. Different packaging and item numbers.
What's up with that? anybody know if one is better (maybe one company has
higher safety standards or something) or is it just a business thing (no we
won't price match that or something)

Joe Neidar

"DanG" wrote in news:9QSUc.3546$Ka6.1012@okepread03:

I don't know why they changed the tubes and the names of the
caulk. For many years Macklanburg Duncan marketed an excellent
butyl rubber caulk. They were bought out by GE. They still make
the same caulk, but the tube says gutter and lap sealant. Butyl
rubber gets mentioned in real fine print on the back of the tube.
I am a believer in polyurethanes, a hater of silicone, and I do
not see either of them as equal to butyl rubber for certain
applications.

thanks for the advice. I agree. esp. with something like a toilet, you
don't want to use an unsuitable product.

John Willis

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 23:41:17 GMT, Joe Neidar
scribbled this interesting note:

Hi,

I've got a replacement closet ring for a toilet that says to apply a bead
of butyl rubber caulk to the underside. I could not find any butyl rubber
caulk at Home Depot or Lowes. Is there something I can use instead? Like
roof sealant (also good for gutter repair) or regular bathorom silicon?
There's also some silicon Ultra product that has rubber in it.

Or is there a place where I can get butyl rubber caulk?

Also does anybody know if I can just use plain zinc plated screws to attach
the ring (it's a Superior Tool Super Ring) or do I need something special
like stainless steel?

Thanks

We use NP1 for lots of applications. I've even used it for exactly
what you describe. Here's some sources of information...
http://www.chemrex.com/productcatalo...asp?prodID=310

There are others.

We buy ours locally at the roofing supply house where we buy other
roofing materials. Call around and you too could probably find a local
outlet for similar products. At Home Depot they usually have some
urethane products in the concrete section as well, although they
usually want more than what you would pay for a similar product from a
real supply house.

--
John Willis
(Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)