barry martin

Default Save removal abandoned fr

Jerry:

JW I have lived in my house in Silver Spring MD
JW for last ten years, a pole mounted gas lamp
JW in front yard has always been inoperative.
JW
JW What is involved in safely removing it
JW with respect to the gas feed? Where is
JW this type of appliance connected to the gas
JW mains?

First is to be certain the gas is off, of course. Our gas lights (one
in front, one at a back corner) had their shut off valve located at
the back of the house, tapped from the feed to the gas dryer. We
thought this was the feed to the gas grill also - saw-saw-saw --
hisssss! (Oh pooop!) Found another semi-inaccessible gas shutoff
tapped from the gas stove feed. (Don't know if the installation was
professionally done or not.)

So in light of this near-disaster, I would follow your gas pipes and
shut off what I think is the feed to your gas light. I would then
trace that feed to be double-sure, if possible. Else I would probably
shut the gas off to the entire house, nick a hole in the feed pipe,
turn the gas on part way while someone is standing a slight distance
from the nick to be sure no gas is escaping.

BTW, you will notice a major drop in your utility bill without the gas
lights!

-
¯ barry.martinþATþthesafebbs.zeppole.com ®

* You're old when "Heartache Tonight" now "Heartburn Tonight".
---
þ RoseReader 2.52á P003186
þ The Safe BBS þ Bettendorf, IA 563-359-1971
---
þ RIMEGate(tm)/RGXMod V1.13 at BBSWORLD *