Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
barry martin

Default buiding a deck questi

Newfy:

DA Guys I am from Newfoundland Canada where we gets loads and loads of snow in
DA the winter. My door step is about 2' high from ground.
DA I am considering building it separate from the house and perhaps a few
DA inches below the door step. I am just unsure how to go if I attached to the
DA house, in terms of perventing damage to the house/door step/sill/ etc.
DA
DA All your suggestions has been taken and thanks much.
DA If any other suggestions, I'd consider for sure.

First check with local codes. Here we have one set of requirements
for an attached deck and another for a free-standing one.

As for separating your deck by a few inches from the house would seem
attaching to the house would be more stable. Sure it's only two feet
but.... When the construction crew built the decks here they were
anchored directly to the frame, not through siding. One is about
three feet off the ground, the upper about 15. (Heights to match
doorways -- and about 1«" below the tread, so that proposed
measurement is correct.)

BTW, to space the boards evenly use nails -- double-headed may be
easier. They also used snap-string to lay down a line for the screws.
The screws are all in straight rows. Looks better.

-
¯ barry.martinþATþthesafebbs.zeppole.com ®

* Did you hear about the tennis ball manufacturer who ended up in court?
---
þ RoseReader 2.52á P003186
þ The Safe BBS þ Bettendorf, IA 563-359-1971
---
þ RIMEGate(tm)/RGXMod V1.13 at BBSWORLD *