Dorot29701

Default How to Cover Glass Door

I live in FL and we were trying to cover our sliding glass doors with plywood
before the hurricane. We ran into problems - there is something across the top
that my husband says is a "lintelle" - it's made out of concrete probably
reinforced. The house was built in 1983. Anyway, we could not drill holes
into it. So please somebody, tell me how do you secure the plywood? There are
two sliding glass doors (4 single doors) side by side. We can drill into the
sides of the windows but not across the tops. We need to find out how to do
this - two more storms brewing down south.

By the way - it took a long time for us to do this. The wood had been precut
and we were using Tapcon screws. Holes allready drilled in wood and around
windows from last time - but still really time consuming. Any suggestions on
how to speed this up would be appreciated. We really can't afford the regular
hurricane shutters and neighbors who have them (the removeable kind) spend a
long time putting them up anyway.

Dorothy
Terry

"Dorot29701" wrote in message
[...]

Dorothy; Use a rechargeable battery operated drill (with two battery packs)
with the appropriate type of bit to fit the Tapcon screws you are using.
Speeds up installation and removal.
To keep ours charged we have the charger plugged in on a kitchen counter;
after each use, 'used' battery is popped into the charger. So we always have
two fully charged battery packs. Depending on quality and type cost maybe
anywhere from $50 to $150. If you want to use it for other work around home
get at least a 12 volt or 14 volt model. We are so far after a year or so
well satisfied with our 14 volt Bosch. Buy cheap sets of replacement bits,
they do wear out and/or get damaged and/or dropped and lost! Have spare
screws they can get damaged heads and/or lost too!

wayne

If it is concrete get a ramset and put in some threaded studs keep a screw
on them so in case a thread is damaged you can fix it taking the nut off

http://www.ramset-redhead.com/hd_22.asp

http://www.ramset-redhead.com/pins_3.asp

Wayne

.. .