Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wrong gauge wire or problematic AC unit?

I got a window unit that is 18000btu and required a dedicated 220 outlet and 15 amp breaker. I used 10/2 wire. the AC unit turns on but does not do much else. I got it off of Facebook marketplace. I need to know if the unit is garbage or if the 10/2 wire is causing too much voltage drop. Please help. I am an broke amateur.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 31 May 2020 15:42:38 -0700 (PDT), "Ronnie B."
wrote:

I got a window unit that is 18000btu and required a dedicated 220 outlet and 15 amp breaker. I used 10/2 wire. the AC unit turns on but does not do much else. I got it off of Facebook marketplace. I need to know if the unit is garbage or if the 10/2 wire is causing too much voltage drop. Please help. I am an broke amateur.

10/2 wire is not your problem. It sounds like you bought a bad AC.
Posted to alt.home.repair
tom tom is offline

On 5/31/2020 6:42 PM, Ronnie B. wrote:
I got a window unit that is 18000btu and required a dedicated 220 outlet and 15 amp breaker. I used 10/2 wire. the AC unit turns on but does not do much else. I got it off of Facebook marketplace. I need to know if the unit is garbage or if the 10/2 wire is causing too much voltage drop. Please help. I am an broke amateur.

I had to run 10/3 with ground for my 1-1/2 ton garage unit but yours might be different.Â* Depends on the controls I guess.

Have you checked the motor capacitors?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/31/2020 6:42 PM, Ronnie B. wrote:
I got a window unit that is 18000btu and required a dedicated 220 outlet and 15 amp breaker. I used 10/2 wire. the AC unit turns on but does not do much else. I got it off of Facebook marketplace. I need to know if the unit is garbage or if the 10/2 wire is causing too much voltage drop. Please help. I am an broke amateur.

The wire should be adequate. Did you check that you are getting proper
voltage? You say turns on. The fan? The compressor? Both? Was this
a used unit?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Have you checked the motor capacitors?

I wish I knew how to do that. I'm afraid it may be a bad purchase.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thank you. I was worried that the 10/2 wire was causing a serious voltage drop.

10/2 wire is not your problem. It sounds like you bought a bad AC.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The wire should be adequate. Did you check that you are getting proper
voltage? You say turns on. The fan? The compressor? Both? Was this
a used unit?

It was a used unit and a "good deal". I believe that the fan turns on but not the compressor. No cold air and then after about 2 minutes of running, it just quits again. I thought it may be a power problem with my wire/breaker combo. I really appreciate the help.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 31 May 2020 17:16:14 -0700 (PDT), "Ronnie B."
wrote:

Thank you. I was worried that the 10/2 wire was causing a serious voltage drop.

10/2 wire is not your problem. It sounds like you bought a bad AC.

Since a 15a circuit only needs 14ga wire, #10 is 2 sizes larger,
voltage drop is not your problem. I suppose you could have a bad
connection. The 15a device might not have terminals rated for 10ga
wire.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I got a window unit that is 18000btu and required a dedicated 220 outlet and 15 amp breaker. I used 10/2 wire. the AC unit turns on but does not do much else. I got it off of Facebook marketplace. I need to know if the unit is garbage or if the 10/2 wire is causing too much voltage drop. Please help. I am an broke amateur.

Likely a good reason the original owner sold it - but they should
likely have thrown it away instead of "robbing" you.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 31 May 2020 17:50:37 -0700 (PDT), "Ronnie B."
wrote:

- - Also, I did not think you should run 14 ga wire for 220? i have so much to learn.

Since a 15a circuit only needs 14ga wire, #10 is 2 sizes larger,
voltage drop is not your problem. I suppose you could have a bad
connection. The 15a device might not have terminals rated for 10ga
wire.

Wire size depends on amps, not volts. 14ga is OK on 240/15a.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, May 31, 2020 at 8:17:56 PM UTC-4, Ronnie B. wrote:
The wire should be adequate. Did you check that you are getting proper
voltage? You say turns on. The fan? The compressor? Both? Was this
a used unit?

It was a used unit and a "good deal". I believe that the fan turns on but not the compressor. No cold air and then after about 2 minutes of running, it just quits again. I thought it may be a power problem with my wire/breaker combo. I really appreciate the help.

Are you sure you wired it into a 240V breaker, that you're not maybe giving it
120V? This is where a VOM is handy.

Problematic Fault-Finding Cursitor Doom[_4_] Electronics Repair 9 October 19th 19 04:49 PM
Clarification question - remove problematic Zurn Wilkins 975XL backflow prevention valve Danny D.[_16_] Home Repair 49 August 14th 16 05:41 PM
Problematic caulk pietu Home Repair 10 January 24th 07 04:24 PM
Can I stick two 4 gauge and one 6 gauge wire into a 3/4" conduit Ignoramus29948 Home Repair 11 September 13th 06 12:32 PM
Re-wiring - high current through junctions - problematic ? HarryD UK diy 33 December 22nd 04 11:42 AM