Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How low does your thermostat go?

How low do currently sold home thermostats go? What's the lowest temp
you can set them for?

How low would you set your thermostat in the winter if you were going to
be away for a week and were not draining the pipes?

I live in Baltimore and I would set mine for about 45, but maybe people
have reasons not to do that. ??

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/19/2020 5:22 PM, micky wrote:
How low do currently sold home thermostats go? What's the lowest temp
you can set them for?

How low would you set your thermostat in the winter if you were going to
be away for a week and were not draining the pipes?

I live in Baltimore and I would set mine for about 45, but maybe people
have reasons not to do that. ??

It might depend on where your water pipes are located. If they are on
outside walls, you might need the temp higher to keep them from freezing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/19/2020 8:22 PM, micky wrote:
How low do currently sold home thermostats go? What's the lowest temp
you can set them for?

How low would you set your thermostat in the winter if you were going to
be away for a week and were not draining the pipes?

I live in Baltimore and I would set mine for about 45, but maybe people
have reasons not to do that. ??

Not sure what the lowest was but I set it for 50 if we went away in
winter. Had no pipes in outside walls.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 19 May 2020 17:25:36 -0700, Bob F
wrote:

On 5/19/2020 5:22 PM, micky wrote:
How low do currently sold home thermostats go? What's the lowest temp
you can set them for?

How low would you set your thermostat in the winter if you were going to
be away for a week and were not draining the pipes?

I live in Baltimore and I would set mine for about 45, but maybe people
have reasons not to do that. ??

It might depend on where your water pipes are located. If they are on
outside walls, you might need the temp higher to keep them from freezing.

No, none are in outside walls.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 19 May 2020 22:46:07 -0400, Ed Pawlowski
wrote:

On 5/19/2020 8:22 PM, micky wrote:
How low do currently sold home thermostats go? What's the lowest temp
you can set them for?

How low would you set your thermostat in the winter if you were going to
be away for a week and were not draining the pipes?

I live in Baltimore and I would set mine for about 45, but maybe people
have reasons not to do that. ??

Not sure what the lowest was but I set it for 50 if we went away in
winter. Had no pipes in outside walls.

I need another thermostat and it's interesting that the ads and even the
manuals don't say how low they go.

I think my original round Honeywell, the model that was very common,
went very low, but it's on a shelf somewhere and I haven't checked.

Posted to alt.home.repair

micky formulated the question :
wrote:

On 5/19/2020 8:22 PM, micky wrote:
How low do currently sold home thermostats go? What's the lowest temp
you can set them for?

How low would you set your thermostat in the winter if you were going to
be away for a week and were not draining the pipes?

I live in Baltimore and I would set mine for about 45, but maybe people
have reasons not to do that. ??

Not sure what the lowest was but I set it for 50 if we went away in
winter. Had no pipes in outside walls.

I need another thermostat and it's interesting that the ads and even the
manuals don't say how low they go.

I think my original round Honeywell, the model that was very common,
went very low, but it's on a shelf somewhere and I haven't checked.

Mine has a 'safety feature I suppose many digital ones have. If the
temp drops below 40F IIRC it turns on the furnace no matter the
setting.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

That would be great**. I'll read the manual again, looking for
different words.

The AC installer will probably want to use the thermostat he usually
uses. I hate the idea of arguing with him, and even though I can win,
he'll say, We can't warrant system performance with a different
thermostat.

**If I go away for longer, I can still drain the pipes and turn off the
power to the furnace and the water heater (it's in the basement and will
never freeze. It's mostly the second and first floor that get cold, and
I put RV antifreeze in all the traps. ) .
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Then I'd say, let me show you to the door.

**If I go away for longer, I can still drain the pipes and turn off the
power to the furnace and the water heater (it's in the basement and will
never freeze. It's mostly the second and first floor that get cold, and
I put RV antifreeze in all the traps. ) .

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 19 May 2020 20:22:43 -0400, micky
wrote:

How low do currently sold home thermostats go? What's the lowest temp
you can set them for?

How low would you set your thermostat in the winter if you were going to
be away for a week and were not draining the pipes?

I live in Baltimore and I would set mine for about 45, but maybe people
have reasons not to do that. ??

My T-87 (mercury) thermostat is calibrated down to 40f. It actually
goes past that but you are just guessing at that point. I also might
question how accurate it is at 40 since it is optimized for 70-80.
I think my FIL's White Rogers digital stopped at 53f. He chucked it
and put in a T-87 like mine.

http://gfretwell.com/ftp/Womans%20thermostat.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 19 May 2020 17:25:36 -0700, Bob F wrote:

On 5/19/2020 5:22 PM, micky wrote:
How low do currently sold home thermostats go? What's the lowest temp
you can set them for?

How low would you set your thermostat in the winter if you were going to
be away for a week and were not draining the pipes?

I live in Baltimore and I would set mine for about 45, but maybe people
have reasons not to do that. ??

It might depend on where your water pipes are located. If they are on
outside walls, you might need the temp higher to keep them from freezing.

Usually in northern climates the wet walls are all interior. In my old
house, the only pipes on an outside wall was going to the outdoor hose
bibs.
OTOH here in south Florida the pipes may run outside. It doesn't
freeze here often enough to worry about.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Thermostats are a little cherry on top of the deal. They usually mark
them up 150% or more but occasionally they will quote that retail
price and throw it in free if they are making enough on the system and
they want the deal.
Posted to alt.home.repair

on 5/20/2020, micky supposed :

wrote:

[...]

Look for default safety temp setting or feature.

https://support.google.com/googlenes.../9249790?hl=en
Posted to alt.home.repair

on 5/20/2020, micky supposed :

wrote:

[...]

I will loook for that. Thanks, and thanks everyone.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, May 20, 2020 at 3:10:19 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Tue, 19 May 2020 17:25:36 -0700, Bob F wrote:

On 5/19/2020 5:22 PM, micky wrote:
How low do currently sold home thermostats go? What's the lowest temp
you can set them for?

How low would you set your thermostat in the winter if you were going to
be away for a week and were not draining the pipes?

I live in Baltimore and I would set mine for about 45, but maybe people
have reasons not to do that. ??

It might depend on where your water pipes are located. If they are on
outside walls, you might need the temp higher to keep them from freezing.

Usually in northern climates the wet walls are all interior. In my old
house, the only pipes on an outside wall was going to the outdoor hose
bibs.
OTOH here in south Florida the pipes may run outside. It doesn't
freeze here often enough to worry about.

I've seen lots of homes here, NYC area, with pipes in outside walls,
including the one I'm living in now. To force them into interior walls
would result in restrictions that interfere with good design and what
people want. Like not having a window over the kitchen sink.