Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How not to neutralize bleach.

How not to neutralize bleach.

I can't find the thread about bleach, but here is more info:

Bleach should never be mixed with vinegar or other acids as this will
create highly toxic chlorine gas and can cause severe burns internally
and externally. Mixing bleach with ammonia similarly produces toxic
chloramine gas, which can burn the lungs. Mixing bleach with hydrogen
peroxide results in an exothermic chemical reaction that releases
oxygen, and may cause the contents to splatter and cause skin and eye
injury. Heating bleach and boiling it may produce chlorates, a strong
oxidizer which may lead to a fire or explosion.

From wikip on bleach
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 25 Apr 2020 16:29:04 -0400, micky
wrote:

How not to neutralize bleach.

I can't find the thread about bleach, but here is more info:

Bleach should never be mixed with vinegar or other acids as this will
create highly toxic chlorine gas and can cause severe burns internally
and externally. Mixing bleach with ammonia similarly produces toxic
chloramine gas, which can burn the lungs. Mixing bleach with hydrogen
peroxide results in an exothermic chemical reaction that releases
oxygen, and may cause the contents to splatter and cause skin and eye
injury. Heating bleach and boiling it may produce chlorates, a strong
oxidizer which may lead to a fire or explosion.

From wikip on bleach

They put a little tablet of Sodium sulfite in our E-Coli sample
bottles to neutralize the chlorine that might be in the water. It will
"unbleach" bleach.
It our case it is a waste of money since we are sampling rivers and
bays but we get the bottles that are made for all kinds of tests,
including municipal water supplies.