Posted to alt.home.repair

Default smoke detector and treadmill

replying to rednelb, Cflood wrote:
When we use our treadmill, the smoke detectors go off also. We have plugged
in the treadmill in different outlets. The smoke detectors are hard wired with
battery backups. We have found only one outlet that it will work without
setting off the alarms. Very annoying

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ll-471520-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

The treadmill may be raising sufficient dust to set off the alarm. You might also try the manufacturers instructions for resetting the alarm.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, March 21, 2020 at 11:44:06 PM UTC-4, Cflood wrote:
replying to rednelb, Cflood wrote:
When we use our treadmill, the smoke detectors go off also. We have plugged
in the treadmill in different outlets. The smoke detectors are hard wired with
battery backups. We have found only one outlet that it will work without
setting off the alarms. Very annoying

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ll-471520-.htm

Where are these various outlets in relation to the treadmill? If they
are all near the same smoke detector, I would suggest swapping smoke
detectors seeing what happens. If that doesn't work, try another smoke
detector, different brand. Possible something is wrong with it and
it's being set off too easily.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/22/2020 10:00 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Saturday, March 21, 2020 at 11:44:06 PM UTC-4, Cflood wrote:
replying to rednelb, Cflood wrote:
When we use our treadmill, the smoke detectors go off also. We have plugged
in the treadmill in different outlets. The smoke detectors are hard wired with
battery backups. We have found only one outlet that it will work without
setting off the alarms. Very annoying

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ll-471520-.htm

Where are these various outlets in relation to the treadmill? If they
are all near the same smoke detector, I would suggest swapping smoke
detectors seeing what happens. If that doesn't work, try another smoke
detector, different brand. Possible something is wrong with it and
it's being set off too easily.

I wonder if your smoke detector is trying to tell you something about
your wiring. My treadmill user's manual (Sole F80) contains the
following warning:
"WARNING - To reduce the risk of burns, fire, electric shock, or
injury to persons, install the treadmill on a flat level surface with
access to a nominal 110-volt, 15-amp, grounded outlet with only the
treadmill plugged into the circuit. DO NOT USE AN EXTENSION CORD UNLESS
IT IS A 14AWG OR BETTER, WITH ONLY ONE OUTLET ON THE END. DO NOT ATTEMPT
TO DISABLE THE GROUNDED PLUG BY USING IMPROPER ADAPTERS, OR IN ANY WAY
MODIFY THE CORD SET. A serious shock or fire hazard may result along
with computer malfunctions."

You might want to check your outlets to make sure they are wired
properly. You might have some wires reversed at their connection to the
outlets. There are very inexpensive plug-in testers that will show a
different pattern of neon lights if you have an open neutral or
hot/ground or hot/neutral wires reversed. If you have a missing
neutral, you could see tremendous voltage variations at some outlets
when using high wattage appliances. I had a bad neutral in my power
company's cable running from the street to my foundation penetration.
When I convinced them to check, they agreed and ran a new cable. They
own everything up to my foundation so it was their expense. I detected
it when after years without problems, my lights dimmed whenever I turned
on the toaster oven. Voltage dropped from 117 to 86!

Just a thought.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/22/2020 10:00 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Saturday, March 21, 2020 at 11:44:06 PM UTC-4, Cflood wrote:
replying to rednelb, Cflood wrote:
When we use our treadmill, the smoke detectors go off also. We have plugged
in the treadmill in different outlets. The smoke detectors are hard wired with
battery backups. We have found only one outlet that it will work without
setting off the alarms. Very annoying

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ll-471520-.htm

Where are these various outlets in relation to the treadmill? If they
are all near the same smoke detector, I would suggest swapping smoke
detectors seeing what happens. If that doesn't work, try another smoke
detector, different brand. Possible something is wrong with it and
it's being set off too easily.

What is setting the detector off?Â* A wireless electrical signal/pulse?Â* Or actual smoke particles from loose receptacle wiring?

Maybe put the detector in a ziploc bag and see if it still goes off when the treadmill is used.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 22 Mar 2020 12:37:24 -0400, A noiseless
patient Spider wrote:

On 3/22/2020 10:00 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Saturday, March 21, 2020 at 11:44:06 PM UTC-4, Cflood wrote:
replying to rednelb, Cflood wrote:
When we use our treadmill, the smoke detectors go off also. We have plugged
in the treadmill in different outlets. The smoke detectors are hard wired with
battery backups. We have found only one outlet that it will work without
setting off the alarms. Very annoying

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ll-471520-.htm

Where are these various outlets in relation to the treadmill? If they
are all near the same smoke detector, I would suggest swapping smoke
detectors seeing what happens. If that doesn't work, try another smoke
detector, different brand. Possible something is wrong with it and
it's being set off too easily.

What is setting the detector off?* A wireless electrical signal/pulse?* Or actual smoke particles from loose receptacle wiring?

Maybe put the detector in a ziploc bag and see if it still goes off when the treadmill is used.

There was a homemoaners post yesterday about treadmill and smoke
detector and the guy thought the treadmill stirred up dust, LOL. This
is progbably the same treadmill.