Gary Brown

Default Asbestos In Flooring?

Hi,

When we had an estimate for new kitchen flooring the installer opined
that our vinyl flooring probably contained asbestos (ca 1981) therefore they
couldn't remove it. They would put down a 1/4" of plywood then the new
flooring over it.

Q1: Would vinyl from that era really have asbestos?

Q2: Is the plywood over the existing floor reasonable?

Q3: Would the asbestos create a resale problem? (Asbestos was common
when I grew up.)

Thanks,
Gary

SQLit

"Gary Brown" wrote in message
Hi,

When we had an estimate for new kitchen flooring the installer opined
that our vinyl flooring probably contained asbestos (ca 1981) therefore

they
couldn't remove it. They would put down a 1/4" of plywood then the new
flooring over it.

Q1: Would vinyl from that era really have asbestos?

Q2: Is the plywood over the existing floor reasonable?

Q3: Would the asbestos create a resale problem? (Asbestos was common
when I grew up.)

Thanks,
Gary

Pansy assed contractor

Who knows, you did not supply specific information

Older homes this is an known problem, mitigation on your part is an bonus
how much is up to your area.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Gary Brown" wrote in message
Hi,

When we had an estimate for new kitchen flooring the installer opined
that our vinyl flooring probably contained asbestos (ca 1981) therefore

they
couldn't remove it. They would put down a 1/4" of plywood then the new
flooring over it.

Q1: Would vinyl from that era really have asbestos?

I thought it was outlawed in homes after 1977.

Q2: Is the plywood over the existing floor reasonable?

Yes. Asbestos aside, it is oftne done that way. Mine was about 7 years
ago. Still looks good.

Q3: Would the asbestos create a resale problem? (Asbestos was common
when I grew up.)

No. Since you don't know for sure and I really don't think there is any, I
don't think you have to make any disclosures. Many homes have asbestos
shingles and it is really not a problem with those either.
Ed

tweaked

"Gary Brown" wrote in
:

Hi,

When we had an estimate for new kitchen flooring the installer opined
that our vinyl flooring probably contained asbestos (ca 1981)
therefore they couldn't remove it. They would put down a 1/4" of
plywood then the new flooring over it.

Q1: Would vinyl from that era really have asbestos?

Q2: Is the plywood over the existing floor reasonable?

Q3: Would the asbestos create a resale problem? (Asbestos was common
when I grew up.)

Thanks,
Gary

1.I think it was banned in the late 70s from vinyl. You cannot know for
sure without a test. You could have gotten some old stock. Look in phone
book under asbestos. A test is quick and easy, about $40. If it does
contain asbestos, it is not the end of the world and can be safely and
economically removed. (you could do it yourself)

2.Plywood could be reasonable but you need to consider an aditional height
rise, especially under your cabinet toe-kicks. May or may not be an issue.
Additionally, there is usually particle board under vinyl. It is NEVER
recommended you nail hardwood over particle board. One leak and it turns to
mush. Less nail-holding power as well. You are far better off getting rid
of it now, and that hardwood will last the life of that house.

3.Don't know, ask a realtor in your area.

Buck Turgidson

When we had an estimate for new kitchen flooring the installer opined
that our vinyl flooring probably contained asbestos (ca 1981) therefore

they
couldn't remove it. They would put down a 1/4" of plywood then the new
flooring over it.

Q1: Would vinyl from that era really have asbestos?

Q2: Is the plywood over the existing floor reasonable?

Q3: Would the asbestos create a resale problem? (Asbestos was common
when I grew up.)

Asbestos was banned in the late 70's although existing stock was allowed to
be used. You're right on the borderline, so you may want to have it tested.

It is not a resale issue if it is in good condition. I have asbestos (5%)
tiles in my basement. I could very well have (1%) asbestos in my drywall and
joint compound, though I've never tested it. And I have lead solder in my
pipes....

Edwin Pawlowski

"Buck Turgidson" wrote in message

I have asbestos (5%)
tiles in my basement. I could very well have (1%) asbestos in my drywall

and
joint compound, though I've never tested it. And I have lead solder in my
pipes....

You are really in a danger zone. Another 50 or 75 years and you may be dead.