Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 4-way switch

I have a 4-way switch which is connected to two 3-way switches, the
4-way switch being in the middle. There are 4 labels on the back of the
switch: L1 and L3 (top left and right), L2 and L4 (bottom left and right).

At one position, only L3 and L4 are energized. When I flip the switch,
L1 and L3 are energized. L2 is never energized. Is this normal?
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 6 Jan 2020 10:25:59 +0630, Oumati Asami
wrote:

I have a 4-way switch which is connected to two 3-way switches, the
4-way switch being in the middle. There are 4 labels on the back of the
switch: L1 and L3 (top left and right), L2 and L4 (bottom left and right).

At one position, only L3 and L4 are energized. When I flip the switch,
L1 and L3 are energized. L2 is never energized. Is this normal?

L3 is hot because the 3-way switch that that side of it is connected to
is making L3 hot. To make L2 hot, you'd have to flip that 3-way switch.

Flipping the 4-way switch changes whether L1 or L4 is hot.
If the first 3-way switch were flippted, then the 4-way would go from L4
to L1 and back, instead of from L1 to L4 and back, when flipped once and
then again.

And finally the 2nd 3-way switch connects to L1 or L4 depending on how
it is set. One of those two, L1 and L4, should always be hot and one
of them should not be.

So any of the 3 switches can turn the light on or off.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a 4-way switch which is connected to two 3-way switches, the
4-way switch being in the middle. There are 4 labels on the back of the
switch: L1 and L3 (top left and right), L2 and L4 (bottom left and right).

At one position, only L3 and L4 are energized. When I flip the switch,
L1 and L3 are energized. L2 is never energized. Is this normal?

What do you mean by energized?
The 2 wires from one 3 way switch should be on L1 and 3 and the 2
wires from the other 3 way should be on L2 and L4.

With the switch disconnected it will have conection between 1 and 4 in
one position and 2 and 3 in the other.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Maybe what I have is not a 4-way switch?

As it turns out, L3 is always not. As the switch is flipped, either L1
or L4 is hot. This is confirmed by a multimeter testing. The resistance
between L3 and L1 or L4 is zero, depending on the switch position.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a 4-way switch which is connected to two 3-way switches, the
4-way switch being in the middle. There are 4 labels on the back of the
switch: L1 and L3 (top left and right), L2 and L4 (bottom left and right).

At one position, only L3 and L4 are energized. When I flip the switch,
L1 and L3 are energized. L2 is never energized. Is this normal?

What do you mean by energized?
The 2 wires from one 3 way switch should be on L1 and 3 and the 2
wires from the other 3 way should be on L2 and L4.

With the switch disconnected it will have conection between 1 and 4 in
one position and 2 and 3 in the other.

This is not what I observed. The resistance between L3 and L1 or L4 is
zero, depending on the switch position. L3 is always hot, L1 and L4 is
hot depends on the switch position.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/5/20 10:55 PM, Oumati Asami wrote:
I have a 4-way switch which is connected to two 3-way switches, the 4-way switch being in the middle. There are 4 labels on the back of the switch: L1 and L3 (top left and right), L2 and L4 (bottom left and right).

At one position, only L3 and L4 are energized. When I flip the switch, L1 and L3 are energized. L2 is never energized. Is this normal?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYFVsUqY6zc
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I presume you mean always hot, not always not.

or L4 is hot. This is confirmed by a multimeter testing. The resistance
between L3 and L1 or L4 is zero, depending on the switch position.

I accounted for all that. Read my answer again.

What is the problem? Does it not work? What about it doesn't work?

Have you lett things connected and flipped the first 3-way switch?

Have you flipped and/or checked the 2nd 3-way switch?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

You should make a drawing of all 3 switches and the wires in between
them.

In most cases, wires will be the same color at one end as at the other.
So you can tell both ends are from teh same wire. In some cases, the
end of a wire will be painted a different color, but you should still be
able to see farther back where the original color shows. That will help
you make your drawing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I just confused things. If one end of a wire was colored, the other end
almost surely was too. Even if you can see the original color, the
color it's painted is almost surely what matters.

That will help
you make your drawing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Sure sounds like a 3 way switch to me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a 4-way switch which is connected to two 3-way switches, the
4-way switch being in the middle. There are 4 labels on the back of the
switch: L1 and L3 (top left and right), L2 and L4 (bottom left and right).

At one position, only L3 and L4 are energized. When I flip the switch,
L1 and L3 are energized. L2 is never energized. Is this normal?

What do you mean by energized?
The 2 wires from one 3 way switch should be on L1 and 3 and the 2
wires from the other 3 way should be on L2 and L4.

With the switch disconnected it will have conection between 1 and 4 in
one position and 2 and 3 in the other.

This is not what I observed. The resistance between L3 and L1 or L4 is
zero, depending on the switch position. L3 is always hot, L1 and L4 is
hot depends on the switch position.

you appear to have a 3 way switch
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a 4-way switch which is connected to two 3-way switches, the
4-way switch being in the middle. There are 4 labels on the back of the
switch: L1 and L3 (top left and right), L2 and L4 (bottom left and right).

At one position, only L3 and L4 are energized. When I flip the switch,
L1 and L3 are energized. L2 is never energized. Is this normal?
What do you mean by energized?
The 2 wires from one 3 way switch should be on L1 and 3 and the 2
wires from the other 3 way should be on L2 and L4.

With the switch disconnected it will have conection between 1 and 4 in
one position and 2 and 3 in the other.

This is not what I observed. The resistance between L3 and L1 or L4 is
zero, depending on the switch position. L3 is always hot, L1 and L4 is
hot depends on the switch position.

you appear to have a 3 way switch

He "appears" to have a 3 way switch, and in current reality it truly
is but his 4 way switch has an L4 terminal that "lost it's way".
Buy a new one and kill this silly thread.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

If this lighting circuit was properly wired using 14/2 and 14/3,
there should be no reason for the electrician to get out the Crayolas.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

The OP is not an electrician. He's a regular guy trying to understand
things.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Which does not change the FACT that if properly wired there is no
puzzle to be solved. A 4 way switch will have only 2 14/2 cables
connected - no 14/3 requied. one 14/3 will generally be connected to a
3 way switch

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

He could also test the switches. The 3 ways are SPDT. The 4 way
is DPDT.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Not in any normal wiring scenario and certainly not for the last few
NEC cycles. If it is a switch loop, you will be bringing the hot along
for the ride and if it is wired as a straight line run you are
bringing the neutral along (code now). The only way you could do that
with 2 wire is to make a switch loop to the 4 way and back from a 3
way. That is not the typical way it is done and not code compliant
now.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

With one side cross connected.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Yes, I guess it's not DPDT, it's a crossover arrangement where the two
on one side get connected straight through with switch in one position
and crossed over if in the other position.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

No puzzle for you, and probably not for me, but there is one for him.

Remember when you were what, 20, 12, 5 years old and you first looked at
one of these circuits?

A 4 way switch will have only 2 14/2 cables
connected - no 14/3 requied. one 14/3 will generally be connected to a
3 way switch

There is no reason to think it's not properly wired, but a drawing of
the circuit should still help him. Why do people often post urls with
circuit drawings? To help.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/7/20 11:03 AM, trader_4 wrote:

[snip]

He could also test the switches. The 3 ways are SPDT. The 4 way
is DPDT.

A DPDT switch is two SPDT switches that are connected mechanically (so
one handle operates both) but not electrically. A DPDT can be converted
to a 4-way switch by cross connecting the non-common terminals.

If you call the terminals of a 3-way A,B,C (where C is common) and for a
DPDT add 1 or 2 for which switch, then connecting 1A and 2B to one
terminal, and 1B and 2A to another will make it a 4-way switch.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Si Dieu n'existait pas, il faudrait l'inventer. (If God did not exist,
it would be necessary to invent him.)" [Voltaire, "-pOEtres, XCVI"]
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

It is a DPDT but the only terminals are on the switched contact and
one way the switch is made, (straight through). The other side it is
made is cross connected to the straight through side, in effect
swapping the leads but the terminal is not available..

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

So it's a DPDT switch made into a crossover kind of switch.
That sound about right?